Forum Discussion

ldoodle
Icon for Advisor rankAdvisor
3 months ago

SQL Server DataSources - Updates

Hi,

I did a DataSource update the other day and it looks like the built-in SQL Server dashboard is now broken, because the updated DataSources now have one of these:

hasCategory("MSSQL") && !hasCategory("SQL_Node")
hasCategory("MSSQL") && !hasCategory("WSFC_VNN")

I’m guessing the bold bit is new/changed because previously my SQL AG servers were shown in the built-in Dashboards and now they’re not. Only non AG SQL’s are shown.

Is this intentional?

Thanks

12 Replies

• Licensing question: you consume a device license for every device your collectors talk to, not what they talk about. For example, you can monitor vCenter and talk about 1000 VMs managed by that vCenter, but you’re only consuming 1 license because you’re only talking to vCenter.

Yeah I understood that - that vCenter example was major plus for us with choosing a monitoring product/platform.

But I wasn’t quite sure how it worked with a virtual thing like a cluster name, VIP, SQL AG listener etc.

• Thinking about it differently… I think based on what you said it would be 2 licenses:

a physical server getting polled on its OOB port (iDRAC, iLO etc.) AND Windows IP, that would be 2 rather than just 1.