Forum Discussion

dorian_fuchs
Icon for Neophyte rankNeophyte
4 months ago
Solved

LogicModule Updates in UIV4

Hi Community

I wanted to install the LogicModules updates today and came across the following problem. For various DataSources, which I have already customized, I can no longer see the difference view before the update. It says "The contents haven't changed" but why should it then show me this module in the updates? Examples of DataSources are "HP_System_CPU", "SSL_Certificate_Chains", "Cisco_UCS_Sessions", "EMC_PowerMax_RDFDirector", "VMware_VeloCloud_EdgeHealth" and many more.
Do you have similar problems with UIV4? I don't think I pressed a wrong button in the difference view or something similar. 
Otherwise a big fan of the new option to upgrade modules ;)

Greetings
Dorian

• The system shouldn’t let users save VDPs in an order that leaves any of them undefined, so I don’t think the user should ever have to deal with the order of the VDPs being significant.

I was actually discussing changes to the “customization identification” system today, we’ll be making some changes in the near future that will not get tripped up over these meaningless changes like order of elements (when it doesn’t matter). You won’t have to wait years for this.

5 Replies

• The system shouldn’t let users save VDPs in an order that leaves any of them undefined, so I don’t think the user should ever have to deal with the order of the VDPs being significant.

I was actually discussing changes to the “customization identification” system today, we’ll be making some changes in the near future that will not get tripped up over these meaningless changes like order of elements (when it doesn’t matter). You won’t have to wait years for this.

• @Michael Rodrigues can give a better explanation, but in my experience, these aren’t customized modules, but modules where metadata differs between your installed version and the core (repo/toolbox/exchange) version. Something like keywords or author, or something else that you can’t modify. The diff engine that checks if there’s an overall difference checks these attributes while the diff engine that generates the diff from your screenshot doesn’t take those into consideration. So, the overall diff engine that is responsible for telling you that there’s something different is telling you that there’s something different. The diff view however, doesn’t show those differences, so it looks like they disagree with each other.

I have asked that this be fixed, but it needs to come from more customers.

Since i couldn’t just wait a few years for it to be fixed, i compared the modules myself, using my sandbox, and didn’t find any functional difference. So I imported them into my prod portal. Upon doing that, it brought in the mismatched metadata, making it match and it no longer showed as having an update.

Please ask LM to surface the differences that are causing the main diff engine to flag it as needing an update.

• Ah, that’s another one that I’ve brought up quite a few times. The order of virtual datapoints should be considered an update. Since one virtual datapoint can rely on the existence of another virtual datapoint they do have a specific order that they should be in.

For example, let’s say there’s a virtual datapoint “cpuTempF” that relies on a regular datapoint: (cpuTemp *9/5) + 32. Then there’s another virtual datapoint “isBoiling” that relies on cpuTempF: if(gt(212,cpuTempF),1,0). In this case, cpuTempF must be defined before isBoiling. 

However, what I’ve found is that the code that the JSON on one side seems to enforce the order of virtual datapoints while the JSON on the other side seems to grab the points in a random order. Even after pulling in this update, it would show that i had an update because even though the ordered JSON was pushed into my portal, the resulting JSON would still have it out of order.

I first opened a ticket on this in November 0f 2022. They thought they had it resolved several times. The last fix they made for it was v187.

• I was able to check this today in the old diff view (last week I no longer had access to it?). My modules are not metadata that have been customized. Everywhere it was just the order of e.g. graph definitions or datapoints.

It makes no sense to me that this makes a difference from the old to the new view. Or as you said, that the diff engine recognizes that something has been changed but still doesn't recognize anything 😅

I have reported this to our CSM.