Forum Discussion

RickRod
Icon for Neophyte rankNeophyte
3 months ago
Solved

LogicMonitor to ServiceNow Integration (How to pass custom custom parameters)

Hello.

I recently integrated LogicMonitor with a ServiceNow test instance using the following documentation:

https://www.logicmonitor.com/support/settings/integrations/servicenow-integration/

I was able to simulate a test alert which created an incident in ServiceNow.  While reviewing the incident, I realized, there were a few mandatory fields in the incident that didn’t populate.

Is there a way to send customized names in the http request to populate both fields?  Or is this something that needs to be set on the ServiceNow side in the LogicMonitor Incident Management setup?

• I’m not sure if the space makes a difference or not.  I can give that try.  Initially, I thought I was getting the payload response when testing but it’s actually the response back from ServiceNow that I’m seeing.  I’m not sure if I can view the payload being sent within LM.  However, your idea of using a third party API client is pretty good.  I can try that and see what response I get back.

Thank you.

6 Replies

• @Austin Culbertson Thanks again for your suggestions.  I was able to get the fields populated with the needed values.  In the Alert data window, I added the fields and values needed as follows:

"category":"monitoring alert",

"contact_type":"monitoring”

I stripped away the hashes and “ServiceNow” and that worked.  Also, I found the location of the LM integration logs.  They are literally on a tab called “Logs” next to the Integrations tab.  From there, I was able to see what was being sent in the payloads.  I noticed the field names and values I entered were being sent correctly but the values were coming back blank.  After the change, I’m in business.

Thanks again!

• Does having a space in your property name (##servicenow.monitoring alert##) still resolve to a property? It’s just occurred to me I’ve never tried this, so it might work fine, but I would double check? Also, at the limits of my ServiceNow knowledge, but are you able to view the payloads exactly as they are sent into ServiceNow?

I would also attempt to perform the same action LM is doing via a 3rd party API client (e.g. Postman/Insomnia) to see if you are able to figure out whether or not this is an LM payload issue or just not how the Incident API operates?

• I’m not sure if the space makes a difference or not.  I can give that try.  Initially, I thought I was getting the payload response when testing but it’s actually the response back from ServiceNow that I’m seeing.  I’m not sure if I can view the payload being sent within LM.  However, your idea of using a third party API client is pretty good.  I can try that and see what response I get back.

Thank you.

• I integrated LM with our Event Management platform, so my experience might not directly translate -- however, looking at the ‘HTTP Delivery’ section of LM’s documentation, I suspect that you may need to add a `category` field to the ‘Alert Data’ part of the integration. String may work, but if it doesn’t, might need to use sys_id if that is a reference field.

• Thanks @Austin Culbertson .  I’ll definitely give that a try.

• UPDATE:  I attempted to update the Alert data section but did not have any luck. I added the following: 

"category":"##servicenow.monitoring alert##",

"contact_type":"##servicenow.monitoring##