Forum Discussion

13 days ago

Alert on changes to Property Values

Has anyone setup a datasource that would send out an alert if specific properties change their value?

A request from our network team is around triggering an alert when the firmware on some devices changes.  This is being populated into a property for the device but need a way to trigger an alert when its value changes.

We are migrating from Solarwinds and it seems like this was an ability Solarwinds could alert on.

6 Replies

• Müller_N wrote:

Use a script datasource, get the data out of the device property with the 
    usual hostProperties groovy line like:

firmware_vers = hostProps.get("auto.entphysical.firmwarerev")
    Remove any NaN characters or create something like a hash sum and convert it to an integer so LogicMonitor can store it in a datapoint.
    Then use the one of the numerous delta functions as a threshold:

Does not sound particularly difficult to me.

This is the right way to do it.

• Use a script datasource, get the data out of the device property with the 
    usual hostProperties groovy line like:

firmware_vers = hostProps.get("auto.entphysical.firmwarerev") 

Remove any NaN characters or create something like a hash sum and convert it to an integer so LogicMonitor can store it in a datapoint.
    Then use the one of the numerous delta functions as a threshold:

Does not sound particularly difficult to me.

• I'm not aware of a way to alert on a property change directly, but you can create a ConfigSource (if there isn't one already) that contains the firmware version so LM can alert on it changing that way.

Jeff_Batchelor
      Icon for Neophyte rankNeophyte

I will look to see about trying to do it this way as it does seem like the only possible solution that doesn't involve a lot of work scripting out a way to read a custom property out into a different custom property and then comparing it to the old one on some basis.