Forum Discussion

4 months ago
Solved

How is everyone else handling network interface ID changes?

We run into this issue pretty often where let’s say a switch stack role changes and now all the interfaces have their ID change and now our techs are confused why there are duplicate interfaces and a port is reporting down when it’s up on the switch.

Example:

OLD: TenGigabitEthernet2/1/1 [ID:61] 

NEW: TenGigabitEthernet2/1/1 [ID:120]

Is the process really to now delete all 30+ duplicate interfaces that had their ID change, lose all the historical data from that interface and update any dashboards that we were maybe monitoring that specific port ID?

I’ve opened a ticket and they are leading me to believe this is by design and everyone else just deals with this flaw?

Please let me know otherwise.

Thanks!

• Is `snmp ifindex persist` an option? That should maintain ifindices through the various changes like reboots or role changes.

3 Replies

• Is `snmp ifindex persist` an option? That should maintain ifindices through the various changes like reboots or role changes.

I didn’t realize this was a thing and I’m surprised that is not the default setting. I’ll have to test this out today but that looks like it would solve my issue.

Thanks!

• Yeah, it should be the default. Back when switches had little to no flash rom, it wasn’t always an option. Guess no one ever updated it.

“It’s only a problem for SNMP and that won’t be around for much longer.” -- an engineer from 1988.