Forum Discussion

2 months ago

Do you use the focus function in the UIv4 resources tree? Why or why not?

Hey everyone! We’re looking for feedback on the focus feature — please let us know if you use it or not and why. All feedback is welcome! Thanks for your help.

16 Replies

• I can see why this is useful for MSP use cases, is there a way to meet in the middle on this though? My biggest issue is the way it zooms in automatically as I am working on something when I don’t want it to and I’ve also run into the accidentally clicking on things a lot as well. Can there be some settings added to customize this feature?

Thinking about autozoom, I don’t think, for me, it would cause much issue if it didn’t autozoom and just offered the option to manually apply a zoom. I especially think it would be reasonable if LM didn’t autozoom when editing/tuning a device specifically. Perhaps that would even stop LM from autozooming into a completely different section of the tree from where I was, just because the device is in multiple places (that is really annoying, atleast in v3).

• Yes, zooming to a group that’s not the device’s “home group” is annoying, but that’s a different problem that should be solved.

I wouldn’t mind if, when clicking on a search result, it didn’t auto zoom. Whenever i use the focus feature, it’s because i intentionally click on it because i want to clear away the clutter of the resource tree for a minute.

• The focus feature in general is very useful for MSPs like others have mentioned. But its really only needed at the folder-level, or sometimes the resource-level.

The new UI has the focus feature available at the instance-level, device-datasource-level, etc. The new UI also auto-focuses on things which causes lots of confusion for our users which are brave enough to use UIv4. There's really no reason to have auto-focus enabled at all.

So my feedback would be to modify the focus feature to work like it does in the legacy UI. Remove the auto-focus ability completely as it only serves to cause confusion, and make the placement consistent like it is in the legacy UI.

Stuart_Weenig
      Icon for Legend rankLegend

Agreed. Instead of spending time trying to fix something that wasn't broken, how about home groups for resources for consistent breadcrumbing?

Joe_Williams
        Icon for Expert rankExpert

Or fix that annoying hover, wait, then click to get back to resources.