Forum Discussion

8 months ago
Solved

glob expression excluding resources not working

The example:

• Include all servers under the group Production and child groups under production, except any servers under Production/Network/Servers: Production/!(Network/Servers)

from: https://www.logicmonitor.com/support/terminology-syntax/glob-expressions

does not work. 
If I do something like !(Vmware)in pretty much any field doesn’t seem to work, whatever I’m trying to filter (in the Alerts pane in this eg) anything with VMware still turns up, in my case I’m trying to filter the Resource Groups heading. If I type (Vmware) in the Resource Group filter only Vmware alerts are returned .

Any idea why this glob expression doesn’t seem to work???

7 Replies

• Request a feature that the alerts page have a query language like the logs page. That would solve lots of odd things like this.

• Reason is that !(Vmware) looks for anything that’s exactly Vmware, no more no less.

Also, Java (which this is all based on) loves parenthesis around everything.

• This seems to work. Weird that the double parenthesis’ isn’t mentioned on the page I linked. Appreciate the help!

• Scratch that, the filter seems to work in the filter ‘Resource Group (with Subgroups)’ but doesn’t work in the filter ‘Resource Group’, which is also the only filter I can use in an Alert.

It seems that once you add an exclamation mark the filter goes completely empty. If I wrap a word in asterisks the drop down returns just words that match what’s wrapped. but if I type an exclamation mark at the start it doesn’t invert the filter and remove those entries, it just goes blank. 

I think there is a bug in the glob expression
    Back to the drawing board :(

• I’ve noticed that logical NOT works as a second element to an AND or OR, but not as an initial element… the double parens is a fun solution.

• I’ve noticed that logical NOT works as a second element to an AND or OR, but not as an initial element… the double parens is a fun solution.

… I should add, in some places.  It’s inconsistent between filter/search objects around the product.  In the pulldown filters, it has worked as a standalone for me as a glob.  Now I have to go test a bunch and see what works/doesn’t in the new UI