Forum Discussion

4 years ago

Where we can set polling frequency?

Hello,

I want to create alert which poll every 1 min and if it fails to match threshold criteria then it should create new alert for every polling. But i see only single alert on alert-dashboard instead of multiple alerts.'

How can we set/modify to shoot new alert in every polling?

Thank you,

Suyash Gaikwad

3 Replies

• Hello,

It doesn't make sense to have multiple alarms each time a polling fails, if the polling is failing always at the same datapoint it'll alarm.
    If an alarm is already in the console for that specific failure, why do you need to have duplicated alarms for the same exact problem?

• Hi Vitor,

I need it for some testing purpose as we want to shoot alert (heartbeat alert) for every 5mins to the consistency of connection with ticketing tool OR on LM alert console.

If you could help how to create duplicate alert for same error then it will great help.

Thanks

Suyash G.

Anonymous

I think what you want is multiple alert notifications. LM will not open multiple alerts about the same issue, but it can send multiple alert notifications, even to a ticketing system.

IIRC: there are some requests in the product backlog around having instance count for recurring alerts, but that won't help you right now.

You would want to do something like this with escalation chains, but @Vitor Santos is right. The alert workflow isn't designed to open a new alert unless the previous one has been cleared.

Assuming you've setup an integration to your ticketing system and added that ticketing system to an escalation chain: the first thing you'd do is setup an alert rule that would match on the particular alert you want to be sent to your ticketing system. Set that alert rule with an escalation interval of 1 and let your ticketing system be in the only stage for the escalation chain.

This is how it would play out:

at 11:00, the threshold is crossed and the alert is opened. The alert rule matches and immediately sends the alert data to the escalation chain first stage (which includes the ticketing system).

at 11:01, since the alert has not been cleared, the alert rule escalation interval of 1 dictates that the alert data be sent to the escalation chain next stage. Since there's only one stage in the escalation chain, the alert data would be sent to that escalation chain (including the ticketing system) again.

at 11:02, the same thing that happened at 11:01 would happen.

at 11:03, it would repeat

at 11:04, it would repeat

and so on until the alert clears or you reach the escalation chain's rate limit.