Forum Discussion

9 months ago

CSV Import Props Help

Hello, I have a list of 600+ devices to get into LM that would all have diff collectors assigned. I have all the info in a spreadsheet but when I go to the CSV import option in LM to add devices it requires me to select a collector. Can I override this setting with prefCollector in my CSV fields or can this only be imported per collector?

5 Replies

• Hey @mandy1193 

As @tswisdom  mentioned using the standard CSV import does not actually allow this.  However, you can write a script using our Enhanced Script Netscan which does allow for you to assign different collectors.  

This doc here talks about that overall process using that netscan:

https://www.logicmonitor.com/support/enhanced-script-netscan 

With this section providing the formatting example of how the output should be to allow for the assignment of properties and collectors:

https://www.logicmonitor.com/support/enhanced-script-netscan#h-script-formatting-example 

In that script you can pull the data from your CSV, it would just need to be accessible from the collector which the script runs on. 

As always, if you run into any issues, I would suggest you open a support ticket and your LogicMonitor support team can definitely assist.  We can’t write the script for you, but we can help guide you on your path!

• @tswisdom @LMjosephBrett why couldn’t he specify the devices go into a resource group that has a preferred collector designated? Yes, one particular collector would handle the netscan, but the target resource group would determine which collector the device ends up assigned to. Isn’t that the point of having a preferred collector field on the resource group?

Hey @Stuart Weenig,

You are 100% correct, something I completely glossed over.  Thank you for calling that out.  For reference, if needed, this doc talks about device groups, and the section for “Default Preferred Collector” would be what needs to be set. 

https://www.logicmonitor.com/support/devices/device-groups/adding-device-groups/#

• I don’t think that will work but you could do a test import with a few devices and see.  If it doesn’t work then I would just break out the devices according to which collector they need to be assigned to.  

• As of this moment, it’s not possible to assign different Collector’s for a single CSV Netscan, as the Collector assignment is controlled by the Netscan, and not CSV input. You would need to break up the CSV file into separate files, one for each Collector you’d want used to monitor the devices. It’d certainly be worth submitting feedback to allow Collector designation via CSV file, especially if this would be a frequent need.

In the meantime, you might consider writing a script which uses the LogicMonitor API to ingest a csv file and create resources assigned to different collectors based on the CSV details.

• @tswisdom @LMjosephBrett why couldn’t he specify the devices go into a resource group that has a preferred collector designated? Yes, one particular collector would handle the netscan, but the target resource group would determine which collector the device ends up assigned to. Isn’t that the point of having a preferred collector field on the resource group?