Forum Discussion

lucjad
Icon for Neophyte rankNeophyte
2 days ago

Collector Server on Azure VM

I have Collector Server Installed on Virtual machine in Azure. I added Collector successfully to Logic Monitor. I can't add other 3 servers. Collector can't communicate with other hosts. Here is the environment:

Collector Server on Azure VM
|
Server1 and Server2 --> vnet1
|
|
peered
|
|
Server3 --> vnet2

Servers are peered between 2 network that are in two different regions and I still have a problem. Does that mean I have to add two Collectors to Logic Monitor? One per virtual network/region?
Ping/Host Status-critical error in Logic Monitor. Collector can't communicate with other servers I want to add to Logic Monitor. All ports are enabled/firewall checked/permissions are correct. 
(documentation says: There must be at least one collector per CSP account, one per region, and one per VPC. )
Any way to set it up without adding second Collector? Why wouldn't Collector communicate with any of the vnets? 

• Are you monitoring Azure in LogicMonitor using LMCloud? Meaning LM is automatically adding your VMs to the system and the collector is for OS-level monitoring using Collector Assignment? If so, you likely want to verify it's set to monitor via Private IP and not public IP. You may want to also verify that LM is choosing the correct IP address in the system.azure.privateIpAddress LM property.

I would also remote into the collector server itself and try to connect to the servers you are attempting to monitor. Can you ping it using it's private IP or RDP/SSH to them, for example?

You may want to also use some of the Azure network tools to verify network connectivity and the peering. Like Connection Monitor/Troubleshooter, NSG diag, and IP Flow Verify.

• I am not using LMCloud. It's not Cloud Collector. I am not monitoring Cloud Services. It's the Collector that is installed on Azure VM but we are monitoring it from normal perspective as we would normally monitor Collector on Windows Server not Cloud Collector. Hope that makes sense. 

I went to Collector Server and tried to ping these 3 servers I am trying to add to Logic Monitor but Ping-100% loss. In Azure I have to use psPing- and it was installed on all servers- Ping was 0% loss. 

Collector is installed. Added to logic monitor. When I try to add other 3 servers that are on different vnets- I am getting errors. Collector is not able to communicate with other devices for some reason. Firewall was checked. All ports are enabled. Permissions are set up.

I added one device but Host Status and Ping have critical errors. That means there is not connectivity between Collector and this device. 

After checking logic monitor documentation I see that it mentions: There must be at least one collector per CSP account, one per region, and one per VPC. 

Does that mean I need 1 Collector per vnet??

Mike_Moniz
      Icon for Professor rankProfessor

Technically it does not sound like you need multiple collectors, but your collector server needs to be able to directly reach all the systems you want to monitor.

I went to Collector Server and tried to ping these 3 servers I am trying to add to Logic Monitor but Ping-100% loss. In Azure I have to use psPing- and it was installed on all servers- Ping was 0% loss.

Sorry, I'm confused on this statement. When when you run normal ping.exe it is 100% loss but if you use psPing.exe (in TCP mode?) it is 0% loss? LogicMonitor itself will use normal icmp-based ping for it's Ping check. How about other kinda access like RDP/SSH from the collector?

If you are logged into the Collector server and it's not able to reach the other vnet servers at all, then it sounds like you have an Azure networking/peering issue that is separate from any LogicMonitor issue. Or perhaps there is a firewall (like Windows Firewall) running on those servers that is blocking access from the collector.

• Yes, ping.exe is 100% loss and psPing.exe was 0% loss. I am able to RDP into other servers from Collector Server. I also ran wbemtest from Collector Server to other hosts and I got RPC server unavailable error. 

Mike_Moniz
      Icon for Professor rankProfessor

I would try disabling the Windows Firewall, or any other firewall product, on those servers to see if that changes anything. Either way the issue doesn't sound like it's specific to LogicMonitor so you would want to focus on getting ping.exe and WMI working from the collector server before looking at LogicMonitor. 

Here is LM's guide on getting WMI working if it's not a firewall issue.