Forum Discussion

lucjad
Icon for Neophyte rankNeophyte
2 months ago

Availability Group- multi-subnet Listener

Received two critical alerts in Logic Monitor for Host Status and Ping for Availability Group's Listener. 

The AG is healthy - looks like there is a configuration issue in LM that if a failover occurs on an AG with a multi-subnet listener the alert check fails. Shouldn't the check be on the listener name which can resolve to either IP, not a single IP address?
I had different IP when added Listener (Manage-IP address) and different IP in jdbc in properties because it's multi subnet listener. 
I just changed the IP in settings (Manage-IP name) and jdbc connection string so it matches the Listener IP but he next time there is a failover it'll start alerting again.

How do I change the properties for Listener so whenever there's failover it can resolve to either IP address? Would it be just as simple as setting up Listener's DNS name in section of Manage tab and adding listener's dns in jdbc in properties? 

4 Replies

• Yes, so in SQL Server I have Availability Group's Listener that is multi-subnet so it has 2 different IPs. When there's failover it switches to the other IP and then errors happens in Logic Monitor because device is set up with one IP. In past we weren't able to add listener with FQDN-only with IP address. Is there a way to set up the Listener in Logic Monitor so it will recognize both IPs for the same device? I was thinking adding listener by FQDN and in properties add two jdbc connection strings that would have different IPs? 

There's no documentation for multi-subnet Listener so any information is helpful. 

• I don't really know Microsoft SQLServer Clustering. Is the listener one of several SQL servers that is acting as a primary node or the like? And if it fails a different SQL server (with another IP) takes over?

It can be a bit complex when it comes to active/passive like situations. If there is a fqdn DNS that will always points to the active system, then it's quite possible that setting the fqdn in LM will have it always monitor the correct device. I would just go ahead and try it.

• What type of device is this? Some sort of database (based on jdbc reference)? What is the name of the DataSource?

lucjad
      Icon for Neophyte rankNeophyte

It's the Listener for Availability Group in SSMS. 

It's added as a device in Logic Monitor.