Forum Discussion

4 years ago
Solved

Random custom properties appearing within our 'root' folder

Hello to everyone,

For the past couple of weeks we've been noticing that from time to time 'customProperties' get created within our 'root' group at LM.
We've asked our team if anyone created those, everyone stated that they weren't manually created. 

Tried to check it within Audit logs, but I can't find any event that relates to that action.
I'm not sure what is causing this (couldn't be LM fault)...

Examples of properties that get created:
- snmp.community
- esx.user/pass

We've a bunch of folks working on this at the same time & we're not discarding the possibility of this being done by mistake (however, the weird thing is we can't see this in the Audit logs).

Anyone faced this sort of scenario in the past?

Thank you!

• 2 hours ago, Vitor Santos said:

For the past couple of weeks we've been noticing that from time to time 'customProperties' get created within our 'root' group at LM.
    - snmp.community
    - esx.user/pass

Oh yes, we have a process to check/remove them every week. It's caused by LogicMonitor add device wizard when you enter in properties there. We pretty much avoid the wizard now. LM tries to be "helpful" by adding those properties to root. This is something we have brought up to LM over the years (tickets 76322, 88632, 108961, FEED-2277) but LM never changed it. As an MSP it becomes a problem since we have lots of customers in one portal, so never want anything on root and sometimes it get inheritied. LM suggested we just add fake values.

LM seems to be putting more focus on MSPs these days, but either way I suggest reaching out to your rep about this issue.

4 Replies

• 2 hours ago, Vitor Santos said:

- snmp.community
    - esx.user/pass

Oh yes, we have a process to check/remove them every week. It's caused by LogicMonitor add device wizard when you enter in properties there. We pretty much avoid the wizard now. LM tries to be "helpful" by adding those properties to root. This is something we have brought up to LM over the years (tickets 76322, 88632, 108961, FEED-2277) but LM never changed it. As an MSP it becomes a problem since we have lots of customers in one portal, so never want anything on root and sometimes it get inheritied. LM suggested we just add fake values.

LM seems to be putting more focus on MSPs these days, but either way I suggest reaching out to your rep about this issue.

• 6 minutes ago, Mike Moniz said:

Thanks a lot for the reply Mike!

As an MSP that's indeed a major concern (exactly because of what you stated).
    I'll definitely bring this to our rep in our next meeting (hope they review this in a near future).

• Cool, let me know if they do. Feel free to mention the tickets/feed I provided. We had a lot of back-and-forth on replicating the issue and those have notes direct from development about the situation.