Forum Discussion

4 years ago

Cisco UCS monitoring doubt

Hello,

Now that a new suite of data sources is available for the UCS stuff, we're having some doubts on the monitoring related with the Cisco UCS Manager & their respective components (Fabric Interconnects, etc...)
I'm sure the new suite removes the need of the SNMP legacy datasources (that's great btw!!!), however, we're now kinda lost on what should we add into LM (in terms of components).

I'm pretty sure in the past we had to add the UCS Manager + the Fabric Interconnect devices (to fetch some hardware related info that wasn't fetched via UCS Manager), but currently, I see the same datasources applied to the UCS & both Fabrics. I'm assuming that we only require to monitor the actual UCS Manager from now on (everything else will be monitored under it). Specially the hardware portion of both Fabric Interconnects (at least from what I'm seeing).

Is my assumption correct? Or, is there anything else we need to have in mind in terms of the Fabrics.

Appreciate the clarification guys!

Regards,  

3 Replies

• So after reading the UCS monitoring article I found that we need to actually add the Manager & Fabrics (making use of the API keys for those).

However, it requires a few tweaks on the data sources part in order to avoid duplicated monitoring. Since the 'sysinfo' on the UCS stuff contains 'NX-OS' it grabs a bunch of extra stuff (that we actually don't require for UCS because those are already monitored via the new data sources suite).

The solution for us was tweaking all those data sources 'appliesTo' in order to remain the same & not get applied if the condition below is true.

- !hasCategory("CiscoUCSManager") && !hasCategory("CiscoUCSFabricInterconnect")

We had the need to do this because for a few UCS we also have 'snmp.community' on the same dynamic group (since it's a common group for CIMC's as well). Therefore, we need to make this filter to avoid SNMP datasources to be applied into UCS Manager resources.

This does exactly the trick for us. Not sure if it'll help anyone else, however, just sharing it.

On a side note, seems that LM also forgot about the CIMC (UCS C series) devices. Since they advise to disable the Legacy SNMP datasources but, those are also used by the CIMC device(s).
    Once again, we followed the same logic & applied the same filter on those.

Thanks,

• Hey @Vitor Santos, glad to hear you got this working. Sorry about the NX-OS stuff overlapping.

I'm pretty sure we lack UCS C coverage via the API because we had no UCS C devices to develop it against. If you have UCS C devices you'd be willing to let us develop against, let us know what you'd like to see and we can see about getting it into an upcoming sprint.

• 10 hours ago, Michael Rodrigues said:

Hey @Vitor Santos, glad to hear you got this working. Sorry about the NX-OS stuff overlapping.

I'm pretty sure we lack UCS C coverage via the API because we had no UCS C devices to develop it against. If you have UCS C devices you'd be willing to let us develop against, let us know what you'd like to see and we can see about getting it into an upcoming sprint.

Hello Michael,

Actually the legacy SNMP datasource(s) cover pretty much everything we need in terms of the UCS C Series stuff (hardware, temperature, power consumption, etc...).
    I've re-applied those only to UCS C stuff by tweaking the AppliesTo.

Therefore, I don't think there's a need of developing new ones.