Forum Discussion

4 months ago

BGP Neighbor Monitoring in Multi-VRF environment

The core DataSource “BGP-” uses the BGP4-MIB to discover and monitor BGP neighbors on a device. This MIB doesn’t account for VRFs or address families.

Does anybody use some advanced DataSources to monitor BGP neighbor state information which considers different VRFs?

My use case is: We have some routers with multiple VRFs with overlapping IP subnets (which is obviously the major point of having VRFs...). Hence we do have multiple neighbors with the same neighbor IP within different VRFs. The BGP- DataSource just discovers one neighbor per IP, although there are multiple. I’d like to have a separate instance for each neighbor.

4 Replies

• Thanks so much for raising this opportunity. If you don’t mind, please create a feature request in your LM Portal with this information as well as the URL to a device with this configuration, so (if you authorize) we might assess the feasibility of what you’re asking. I’m happy to have our team look at this as an enhancement.

However, because this will require research and regression testing, if it is urgent please consider options like LM Professional Services, creating your own DataSource, or engaging a consultant. Even if you choose this route, I hope you will create the feature request so we might have a customer-related improvement opportunity.

Thanks so much.

• @therealsle 

That OID is fine the important part is the context switching when doing the walk. Here is a snippet of the most important part in the AD

props["snmp.community"] = "COMMUNITY-${vrf}".toString()
    props["snmp.contextName"] = "CONTEXT-${vrf}".toString()
    Map<String, String> result = Snmp.walkAsMap(hostname, ".1.3.6.1.2.1.15.3.1.7", props, 5000)

Then play around with the WildAlias

As for Fortigate we had a similar issue with multiple vDOM’s on SNMPv3 the work around around for that is changing snmp.security on the fly to its original value + “-vdomname”

• Depending on the vendor?

Cisco Nexus use a propertysource on the devices and walk 1.3.6.1.4.1.9.9.468.1.1.1 to get a list of VRF’s

Then a datasource to walk 1.3.6.1.2.1.15.3.1.7

The special part os the community what we done is used the VRF name as part of the context so our community would then be

$VRFNAME-CM

Also a contextname as a property

This would then grab the BGP peers from within the VRF

• @Michael Baker  Thanks for sharing your insights. I would need this working for Fortigate and Cisco IOS XE devices. If you follow the above approach, you will at least have issues with the OID 1.3.6.1.2.1.15.3.1.7 when having multiple neighbors with the same IP, since the OID will only return one value.

@Patrick Rouse Thanks, I will consider creating a feature request.