Forum Discussion

2 years ago

Add Device via API

Hi - I'm trying to add a device via API and Powershell. 

I've prepared the following JSON which im passing as a BODY object via POST.

{
    "description":  "Test Server",
    "name":  "xx",
    "displayName":  "xx",
    "preferredCollectorID":  xx
}

Is this enough data to POST - im getting a 1404 back which suggest an object doesn't exist (i assume in the case the Collector?). But that def the ID as ive retrieved it from a separate GET.

Im making other REST calls using the same function so pretty sure my code is ok.

The guide ive used for reference is below (even though its v1 I think this is correct) as the properties below are the only required ones.

Property

Description

Required?

Type

Example

name The host name or IP address of the device Yes String “name”:”10.36.11.240″
displayName The display name of the device Yes String “displayName”:”ProdServer24″
preferredCollectorId The Id of the preferred collector assigned to monitor the device Yes Integer “preferredCollectorId”:85

Add a Device | LogicMonitor

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

3 Replies

• Oh dear - massive schoolboy error.

I had ID instead of Id :)/emoticons/smile@2x.png 2x" title=":)" width="20" />

"preferredCollectorID":  108

Thanks for your help anyway!

Working now :)/emoticons/smile@2x.png 2x" title=":)" width="20" />

• What's the endpoint you're hitting? 1404 means the resource (api resource, aka endpoint, aka url) isn't found. You should be posting to /device/devices. Does your response contain anything other than the 1404 error?

• Hi - I'm hitting /device/devices with the above JSON body using a POST

Oddly enough I'm getting

Function statuscode is 1404
    Function return data is
    Function return items are
    Function return body is @{data=; errmsg=Collector(id=0) does not exist; status=1404}

Body data is

{
        "description":  "Test Server",
        "name":  "bwu-qts-ojtst54",
        "displayName":  "bwu-qts-ojtst54",
        "preferredCollectorID":  108
    }

Almost like it expects a collectorID? Should i be posting with any other data?

The reference is only API 1.0 so i dont know if API 3.0 has any other mandatory fields either.