Forum Discussion

5 years ago

URL Provided in Alert based on DataPoint

Hi all,

I have been tasked with providing specific URLs to our troubleshooting knowledge base, based on the type of alert received. I know that we can add the ##DEVICEURL## token to alerts, but we want to be even more granular than device-level URLs. For example, say an alert comes in for high CPU utilization, we'd like the alert to provide the link to the page that instructs our service desk on the required steps to troubleshoot that particular issue, so there would be multiple URLs associated with one device. I hope I explained that correctly. I'm a bit of a novice in IT so I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction.

Thanks!

5 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
  • Assuming you leverage and consume custom alert messaging, you can define the KB article at the datasource template level. Taking your CPU utilization example, go to your CPU datasource LogicModule, and add the URL to the custom alert messaging for the desired datapoint triggering alerts. 

If the KB is different for different subset of resources, then the alert messaging should be updated to reference a custom property that would be assigned to or inherited by the resource. Example ##CPU_KB_URL##, then you would assign/inherit the cpu_kb_url property to your different subsets of resources. 

This does mean you will have to maintain these properties in LM. 

• The alerts take you to a specific instance, so it should be possible.  URL structure is this:

https://<companyName>.logicmonitor.com/santaba/uiv3/device/index.jsp#tree/-i-<deviceInstanceNumber>

You should be able to derive the instance # from the REST API... but you state that you're a bit of a novice.  Might be ##system.instanceid## or just ##instanceID##

• On 10/31/2019 at 8:06 AM, Cole McDonald said:

The alerts take you to a specific instance, so it should be possible.  URL structure is this:

https://<companyName>.logicmonitor.com/santaba/uiv3/device/index.jsp#tree/-i-<deviceInstanceNumber>

You should be able to derive the instance # from the REST API... but you state that you're a bit of a novice.  Might be ##system.instanceid## or just ##instanceID##

Thank you for your reply Cole. I should have been more specific. In the alert that is generated, we would like it to include a link to a knowledge base article outside of LogicMonitor that we are building. That way, when an alert is routed to us, we can simply click the link and follow our organization's instructions for how to troubleshoot it and what procedures to follow. Hope you can help! :)/emoticons/smile@2x.png 2x" title=":)" width="20">

• If you have a website built that will take a URL structure that can be married to device/instance property values, you can have the alert generate the URL form the inciting instances properties to direct you to the appropriate page.  You may need to build out a redirection page within your site that receives and interprets those URLs for you.

##DATASOURCE## might be the right token to use for building that decision/redirection tree.