Forum Discussion

8 years ago

Debugging Information

Currently, there's no clear cut way of debugging the creation of datasources. Let me explain:

1. You create a datasource that scrapes a webpage for some JSON

2. You attach the datasource to a device

1. 3. For some reason, the device doesn't show your datasource after refresh

4. What is going on?

The answer to bullet point 4 is pretty frustrating. There's no feedback as to what is going on. For my example, it was a case of having a collector on the wrong VLAN, causing it not to be able to access the web page API, but I came to this conclusion after lots of head thumping.

All there needs to be is some kind of display that shows what the error message was. Presumably, an error was thrown somewhere in the collector, but that isn't shown in the GUI.

I don't think the answer to this should be to use the debug console, or to look at the logs of the collector. I think they should clear and present on the GUI.

For someone who comes from a development background, I find this sort of clicking around and watching spinning gifs really annoying. I'd just like to see some more feedback for what is going on.

Thanks.

3 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
    Sarah_Terry
    Icon for Product Manager rankProduct Manager

That makes sense.  We're looking into something along these lines for AWS permission errors, and will consider it for other cases as well. 

• 15 hours ago, Sarah Terry said:

Have you tried using our Collector Debug Facility?  It allows you to see details (which can include error messages) for specific data collection and active discovery tasks.  You can read more here: http://www.logicmonitor.com/support/settings/collectors/using-the-collector-debug-facility/

15 hours ago, Clement Law said:

I don't think the answer to this should be to use the debug console, or to look at the logs of the collector. I think they should clear and present on the GUI.

Yes, I have. My point is, I don't think we should need to dig around in the logs for a simple error. The collector knows the error and it should just be bubbled up to the UI in a pop-up (for example).