Forum Discussion

6 years ago

Custom alert templates per device/datasource/eventsource/etc

While looking through the configuration of alert templates, I see that the various types of alerts and that each can have a customized template defined.  While that's great, it would be even better if a custom template could be defined on a per device / datasource/ eventsource/ etc. basis to allow for better communication with the folks getting the alerts.

2 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
  • 3 minutes ago, mnagel said:

I tried to come up with a solution to this -- I added custom properties to devices/device groups that I hoped could be inserted into the alert template, but the problem is this really can't work since there is no single master template.  What you CAN do is use a custom email integration, which allows you to fetch the resultant alert message as ##MESSAGE##, and then you can put stuff around it based on whatever you like.  But if you choose to do this, you lose all the features of normal email alerts, like  reply-commands (ACK, SDT etc.).  The current alert system is very limited, but I am hopeful it will be improved in the somewhat near future based on conversations I've had with LM folks.

What we have been using is a custom integration that feeds into an actual template system (not just unconditional token substitution), from which we generate markdown output that feeds into a ticket.  In that I can synthesize some of the links that allow for ACK/SDT and API calls can be used to populate more information into the ticket.

Yeah, I think I'm gonna bring it up with my account executive the next time we meet (which should be next week so there's that.)  It seems like the custom properties might be a good addition to what I'm already doing.  Thanks for reminding me of that. :)/emoticons/smile@2x.png 2x" title=":)" width="20">

• I tried to come up with a solution to this -- I added custom properties to devices/device groups that I hoped could be inserted into the alert template, but the problem is this really can't work since there is no single master template.  What you CAN do is use a custom email integration, which allows you to fetch the resultant alert message as ##MESSAGE##, and then you can put stuff around it based on whatever you like.  But if you choose to do this, you lose all the features of normal email alerts, like  reply-commands (ACK, SDT etc.).  The current alert system is very limited, but I am hopeful it will be improved in the somewhat near future based on conversations I've had with LM folks.

What we have been using is a custom integration that feeds into an actual template system (not just unconditional token substitution), from which we generate markdown output that feeds into a ticket.  In that I can synthesize some of the links that allow for ACK/SDT and API calls can be used to populate more information into the ticket.