Forum Discussion

9 months ago
Solved

Custom Property - disable SNMP polling.

Any chance there is a custom property to disable snmp on devices/groups? Similar to the “addCategory_NoPing”….but for SNMP.

• We’ve implemented this using groups at the top level of our device tree.  an “Exclude SNMP” group there which can be a dynamic group based on a category (perhaps manually added, or through a property source - just nothing inherited) can then have any SNMP DS manually disabled in the alert  tuning tab.

We use a static group called “Alert Tuning by Type” with dynamic groups inside that to perform specific changes we need for those classes of servers we deem necessary… i.e. pagefile ratios of 1:1 for all servers, but SQL gets 1.5:1 to support how frequently SQL servers ride the line).

This would be where we turn off DS entirely, Alerts, or specific thresholds.

2 Replies

• Hi Todd,

Thank you for engaging with our community!

Unfortunately (to my knowledge) we don’t have a property like this for SNMP or any other protocol.

The reason NoPing works is because only 1 out of the box DataSource collects data via the PING method (2 including PingMulti- which is manually enabled anyway), and it was straight forward to add the syntax for “doesn’t have NoPing” to the AppliesTo of that one DataSource. In other words, the Ping DataSource is removed via AppliesTo on the frontend and not by a backend process.

This would not be as easily possible for SNMP because there are a significant number of DataSources using this method; each would require updating with a new AppliesTo. Furthermore, many SNMP queries are initiated via scripted collection which would be almost impossible to track. 

In order to disable SNMP polling for a device or group, you would need to manually disable monitoring for that module which does require explicit knowledge of any SNMP based module I’m afraid.
    https://www.logicmonitor.com/support/devices/device-datasources-instances/disabling-monitoring-for-a-datasource-or-instance

Our product team are always looking for feedback, however, which you can submit directly through your portal (Support → Contact Support → Feedback). Just note while they review all feedback we don’t make any guarantees on definite implementation/time frames unfortunately.

• We’ve implemented this using groups at the top level of our device tree.  an “Exclude SNMP” group there which can be a dynamic group based on a category (perhaps manually added, or through a property source - just nothing inherited) can then have any SNMP DS manually disabled in the alert  tuning tab.

We use a static group called “Alert Tuning by Type” with dynamic groups inside that to perform specific changes we need for those classes of servers we deem necessary… i.e. pagefile ratios of 1:1 for all servers, but SQL gets 1.5:1 to support how frequently SQL servers ride the line).

This would be where we turn off DS entirely, Alerts, or specific thresholds.