Forum Discussion

4 years ago

RDP monitoring

Hello, I am looking for a way to monitor the RDP connection from one server to another - let say every 10 minutes. I don't want to check if port 3389 is open, etc. but need the LM to actually test the RDP connectivity. I was advised that I need to create a new Data Source which should have auto discovery enabled via Script and also Data Collection. I think for Data collection, I can put a simple power shell script but I don't know what kind of script I need to use for Auto Discovery. I tried without Auto Discovery by putting a line in "applies to" but that Data Source doesn't seem to appear when I click on the resource itself where other Data Sources are like Ping, CPU are (default ones applied when the resource was added to the LM system). if anyone has already configured this, please share how the Data Source should look like. Also how the alerting should be exactly configured so we will receive alerts for RDP failures.

Thank you

2 Replies

Anonymous
    On 9/12/2020 at 9:15 AM, Zhivko said:

I don't know what kind of script I need to use for Auto Discovery

Active Discovery wouldn't strictly be required in this case, but it would add a little bit of automation for you. 

Without Active Discovery: If you didn't want to go the ActiveDiscovery route, you would be instructing your collection script to attempt to logon to every device that matches the AppliesTo, regardless of whether or not the device is even listening on 3389. In this case, the instance would be created under every device in the AppliesTo. 

With Active Discovery: You can configure ActiveDiscovery to only create an instance if the device is listening on 3389. You'd do a multi-instance "script" DataSource, but use "port" as the discovery method. You'd provide 3389 in the port # list. In this way, there would only be an instance created if the device is listening and responding on TCP-3389.