Forum Discussion

mmatec01
Icon for Neophyte rankNeophyte
4 years ago

Linux dashboard question

So I have a number of Linux devices, all configured and collecting data under Resources, all working fine.  The twist is - some of them use SNMP v2c collection method and some use ssh credentials.  As far as collection of data goes, this is not a problem, we can collect data using either method and life is good.  However, I am trying to put all Linux devices into one dashboard and I am running into a slight issue.  So if I have a table where I want to display Top 10 devices with most utilized memory or swap or CPU, or filesystems how can I combine 2 different DataSources into this one table?  The DataSource names differ based on collection method....Once I pick the DS the table widget won't let me add another DS so I can pick additional Datapoints... Any suggestions?

6 Replies

• Yeah, I think you need to use the custom Table type (instead of dynamic) which is much more of a pain to build and maintain.

• 4 minutes ago, Mike Moniz said:

Yeah, I think you need to use the custom Table type (instead of dynamic) which is much more of a pain to build and maintain.

We've the same exact need. I was able to do it in Power BI with Python but it's a PITA.

Can you provide an example with the 'custom Table' lets say with CPU usage (for Linux SSH/SNMP monitored servers)? It would be very helpful.
    Since we've reached out to our CSM & there wasn't an actual solution to have a TOP 10 (with ALL devices). Instead, the alternative was 2 tables (1 for each - SSH/SNMP). But, that's not a TOP10 :( 

Thank you in advance @Mike Moniz!

Anonymous

The custom table type may be your answer. I'd have to play with it to be sure.

If you haven't already requested it, I'd put in a feature request asking for what I call "metric families". Essentially you have one metric that can be collected via a variety of different DSs. All the DSs that collect that metric would belong to that metric family. All reporting (including dashboards, display in the resource tree, reports, basically everything) would group by metric family instead of DS. This would abstract away the actual collection method in favor of putting the metric at the forefront. For reference, CA did something like this with their CAPM product. This would allow displaying the metric "CPU" for any/all instances, within the same widget/report/etc. regardless of how it's collected. For example, you could have CPU for Cisco ASA, Cisco IOS, Palo Alto, Forcepoint, Juniper, Linux, Windows, SSH capable devices, and SNMP capable devices all in a single top-n graph. Another advantage of this is that logic could be built in to prefer one collection method over another (essentially a priority list of DSs) so that if a higher priority DS collects the data successfully, the lower priority DSs could be ignored. This would prevent duplicate polling for the same metric through different methods.

Anonymous
    10 minutes ago, mmatec01 said:

Alas, I don't think it's a trivial feature to add, therefore we will not see it anytime soon, and I need to get this done today.  But thank you!

This is our reddit. Metric families are our short.

• Yeah, all of your replies to this post are excellent and valid, thank you so much.

Yes, I can accomplish what I want by adding "Custom Graph" widget to my dashboard, instead of "Table" widget.  That allows me to define custom tokens with names of my Linux servers depending on the method of data collection and then select different DSs and different Datapoints in my Custom Graph definition.  Then the Top 10 servers display works, as intended.  Heck I can even throw in a Windows server in there, it still works.

Yes, it's a PITA since now I am looking at creating the dashboard from the scratch instead of using the one for Linux ssh devices.  Plus, I cannot use the fancy "Show color bars" and "Enable Alert Forecasting" features of Table widget.  Oh well.

Yes, Stuart, the feature request for "metric families" would be an ideal and welcome feature for these type of dashboards.... Alas, I don't think it's a trivial feature to add, therefore we will not see it anytime soon, and I need to get this done today.  But thank you!

This is your best option, glad to hear you got it configured and working. At least you have the custom table to clone going forward for any other multi-datapoint tables you may need going forward!

~Logan

• Yeah, all of your replies to this post are excellent and valid, thank you so much.

Yes, I can accomplish what I want by adding "Custom Graph" widget to my dashboard, instead of "Table" widget.  That allows me to define custom tokens with names of my Linux servers depending on the method of data collection and then select different DSs and different Datapoints in my Custom Graph definition.  Then the Top 10 servers display works, as intended.  Heck I can even throw in a Windows server in there, it still works.

Yes, it's a PITA since now I am looking at creating the dashboard from the scratch instead of using the one for Linux ssh devices.  Plus, I cannot use the fancy "Show color bars" and "Enable Alert Forecasting" features of Table widget.  Oh well.

Yes, Stuart, the feature request for "metric families" would be an ideal and welcome feature for these type of dashboards.... Alas, I don't think it's a trivial feature to add, therefore we will not see it anytime soon, and I need to get this done today.  But thank you!