Forum Discussion

4 years ago

Infoblox Module; Which Appliances?

For those utilizing the Infoblox module, which appliances are you adding into LogicMonitor? Our Infoblox environment has 2 HA Virtual IPs in front of 2 nodes each, we have 2 individual Azure Appliances, reporting appliance and network insights appliance. When adding all of them I see that the VIP shows 2 nodes which makes me think we only need to be monitoring the 2 VIPs ( Not the HA IPs but the VIP in front of the 2 nodes ) the 2 Azure Appliances, 2 Azure Appliances, Reporting and Network insights. Is this what others are adding to LogicMonitor instance?

2 Replies

• There are other LogicMonitor users who are monitoring their Infoblox VIPs, but I'm a little confused by your question. Are you saying that your HA IPs are being monitored as a licensed IPs/resources, and the same HA IPs are being monitored as nodes behind the VIPs?

• Apologies on the confusion, I'll try to clarify.

We have a configuration that would look something like this (IPs made up for this example):

• GridMaster VIP = 10.10.10.1
    • GridMaster active node = 10.10.10.2
    • GridMaster passive node = 10.10.10.3
    • GridMaster Candidate VIP = 10.20.20.1
    • GridMaster Candidate active node = 10.20.20.2
    • GridMaster Candidate passive node = 10.20.20.3
    • Reporting appliance = 10.10.10.4
    • NetInsights appliance = 10.10.10.5
    • Azure Grid Member appliance = 10.30.30.1
    • Azure Grid Member appliance = 10.30.30.2

When you add the VIP's it shows information about node 1 and 2, so I'm assuming it's redundant to monitor the VIPs and the active/passive nodes. I wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something though by removing the active/passive nodes as devices in LogicMonitor and only having the VIPs added or if it would cause issues in the event of a failure / promotion.

I imagine the IP's I'd want to add in LogicMonitor in this scenario would be:

• GridMaster VIP = 10.10.10.1
    • GridMaster Candidate VIP = 10.20.20.1
    • Reporting appliance = 10.10.10.4
    • NetInsights appliance = 10.10.10.5
    • Azure Grid Member appliance = 10.30.30.1
    • Azure Grid Member appliance = 10.30.30.2

We're not monitoring the "HA IP's" that are listed within Infoblox as we know those aren't supposed to be monitored from talking with Infoblox.

Hopefully that makes more sense, was curious what others were doing.

Thanks!