Forum Discussion

7 years ago

DFSR Replication Backlog

XKJNGZ

Uses Powershell to make WMI queries to get the current backlog file count for each outbound DFSR partner on each DFSR share.  These queries can be expensive if the backlog is large, so the polling interval is set to 10 minutes.  If there is no backlog, the script finishes quickly.  No default alerting is set, but I would recommend adding a threshold to be notified of potential replication issues.

NOTE* - The collector must be able to reach both DFSR partners and will use the same credentials to make the queries for both.

9 Replies

• Very interested in this datasource. When can we expect this to be approved?

• I used the old one and it does'nt work, can't find any instances on the DFSR replica partners. Are there any update to this DS??

• When I apply this is does not find my file servers DFSr backlog.

When i test the script against known systems with large dfsr backlogs, this is the exit message.

Any ideas?  

• Installed and setup your datasource.

It is collecting data.

I would like to be Alerted if DFS Replication stops between any 2 servers.

What type of alert setup would you recommend?

Thanks in advance.

On 6/13/2017 at 1:20 PM, Brandon said:

XKJNGZ

Uses Powershell to make WMI queries to get the current backlog file count for each outbound DFSR partner on each DFSR share.  These queries can be expensive if the backlog is large, so the polling interval is set to 10 minutes.  If there is no backlog, the script finishes quickly.  No default alerting is set, but I would recommend adding a threshold to be notified of potential replication issues.

NOTE* - The collector must be able to reach both DFSR partners and will use the same credentials to make the queries for both.

• Hi @John Biniewski,

The alert thresholds are largely going to depend on how large your share are.  You can set the alert threshold to something quite low like 10, and wait for an alert, but unfortunately, this is one of those times when you'll need to revisit your thresholds to determine what is normal for your environment(s).  Wish I could be more help here.

• Hi @Nicklas Karlsson and @Jonathan Hill,

So you guys are running into an issue where the datasource isn't finding any instances.  That's no good!

The datasource uses remote Powershell commands from the Windows collector to the target server.  I would probably start by using an RDP session to a collector and running the script from an elevated PS session.  Before you run it, you'll need to modify the script to use whatever creds you have set up on that target server.

For a quick test, just check to see if these two wmi calls return anything from the remote system:

$hostname = <target Server>

gwmi -Namespace "root\MicrosoftDFS" -ComputerName $hostName -Query 'SELECT * FROM DfsrReplicatedFolderInfo'
    gwmi -Namespace "root\MicrosoftDFS" -ComputerName $hostName -Query 'SELECT * FROM DfsrConnectionConfig WHERE Inbound = "False"'

If these two work, DM me and we can try to figure out what the issue is.  I'm guessing we're running into a character limit and I need to account for that.

Thanks!

• Hey, I've just stumbled on this and getting the same problem others mentioned with no instances found. Was there ever a solution found for this?