Forum Discussion

AustinC
Icon for Neophyte rankNeophyte
2 years ago

Time-Range Specific Report-like Functionality on a Dashboard?

I've had a time trying to suss this out on my own, so I'm asking the community!

Is there a way to get the dynamic functionality of the Table widget on the Dashboards page to represent a _peak_ value over the time range specified by the user? Right now, the Table widget only reports the _current_ value for the dynamic list of resources that I've specified, and I'd love if I could have a datapoint represent that shows the 'peak' value over, say, the past 30 days. This is for capacity planning, and we're trying to get out of utilizing emailed reports for these where possible. 

At present, I'm using the Graph Reports to trend this data, but in order to really _get at_ which device is driving what, users need to expand the graph, select 'data,' and then dump the resulting table to a CSV and do their own operations -- at which point, it's best just to use the report functionality ?

I would really love to use the Table Widget (or something else?) to list our 'dynamic resources' in order of 'peak value' over the dashboard's timeframe.

Is this possible, hack or otherwise? 

1 Reply

• Theoretically, this should be doable with the percentile function. It's actually the only function that only works in graph virtual datapoints and doesn't work in complex datapoint expressions. That's because percentile needs a set of data to calculate against and a single poll only has the single poll.

The 100% percentile, should be the largest value in the set. The set should be determined by the timeframe of the report. The real problem is that the table only shows the current/most recent value of the datapoint, similar to big number. So, the "set" of data that the percentile function would use would be a single datapoint, which isn't what you want.

However, if you are already using line graphs for this, you could create a virtual datapoint with the expression "percent(datapointname, 100)". When you plot that, you should see that it will be a flat line at the highest point in the graph.