Forum Discussion

2 years ago
Solved

SNMPTrap test not working from remote server only local

Hi,

I've just deployed a LogicMonitor agent and configured it to listen out for incoming SNMPTraps on the default port 162 and this appears to be happily listeing via netstat (0.0.0.0:162)

I can send a test trap to the agent using SNMPGen when logged onto the server running the agent (10.240.10.15) which appears on the LM dashboard with no problems. The syntax used is SnmpTrapGen.exe -r:10.240.10.15 -t:10 -c:"private" -to:.1.3.6.1.4.1.27909

The problem is when I tried to send this from another server using the same syntax nothing comes up on LM. I have confirmed that the traffic is getting to the box using Wireshark (see attached) but this doesn't appear on LM.

Setup is agent on 10.240.10.15 and test snmptrap coming from 10.240.10.10

I must be doing something wrong and sense I've gone blind now to the actual issue.

Many thanks,
Jase

• The trap has to be received by the same collector that is monitoring that device. The Collector will not process any traps (it will discard them) if the trap comes from a device that isn't currently assigned to be monitored by that collector.

2 Replies

• The trap has to be received by the same collector that is monitoring that device. The Collector will not process any traps (it will discard them) if the trap comes from a device that isn't currently assigned to be monitored by that collector.

• AHA! I knew there would be a logical answer ?

Many thanks!