Forum Discussion

4 years ago

Monitoring SQL server severity alerts

HI all , 

Hope everyone is fine . Need a guidance how can we setup monitoring on SQL server severity alerts. These alerts we can configure in SSMS and then Sql server agent and then alerts.

Please see the picture attached.  

4 Replies

Anonymous

If you haven't already found something in the Exchange, you're probably looking at building your own EventSource. I say EventSource because these appear to be alerts, not numerical data. So, you'd start by first asking how that data can be got at programmatically. Then you'd write a script to fetch that data. That script can be run natively with Groovy or you could use a different programming language. (Using a different programming language simply requires that that language's interpreter be available to the collector. The collector can't run a Python script if Python is not installed on the same server as the collector.)

I'm not a SQL guy, but SSMS seems like a message queue yeah? If so, can you script a way to get the stuff you want out of that message queue? That's your first hurdle.

• 22 minutes ago, Stuart Weenig said:

If you haven't already found something in the Exchange, you're probably looking at building your own EventSource. I say EventSource because these appear to be alerts, not numerical data. So, you'd start by first asking how that data can be got at programmatically. Then you'd write a script to fetch that data. That script can be run natively with Groovy or you could use a different programming language. (Using a different programming language simply requires that that language's interpreter be available to the collector. The collector can't run a Python script if Python is not installed on the same server as the collector.)

I'm not a SQL guy, but SSMS seems like a message queue yeah? If so, can you script a way to get the stuff you want out of that message queue? That's your first hurdle.

Hi Stuart thanks for your reply . SSMS is SQL server managment Studio . These alerts can be create using this or you can use the store procedure. You can put the Error number here and then enabler the alert .  I'll try above option . More suggestion are welcome :)/emoticons/smile@2x.png 2x" title=":)" width="20" />

Anonymous

The 'store procedure' comment got me thinking. A standard way of getting data into LM using Groovy is by using our SQL library to run a SQL query. If you can use the store procedure to log those events in SQL and get at the event list through a simple SQL query, that might be the easiest option. Here's an example of running a SQL query through Groovy.

• 18 hours ago, Stuart Weenig said:

The 'store procedure' comment got me thinking. A standard way of getting data into LM using Groovy is by using our SQL library to run a SQL query. If you can use the store procedure to log those events in SQL and get at the event list through a simple SQL query, that might be the easiest option. Here's an example of running a SQL query through Groovy.

Thanks for your advise . If anyone has already implemented it ?