Forum Discussion

5 years ago

Monitoring Linux Processes (their status, resource usage, etc ) via SSH?

Hello,

Is there anything already developed that allows the monitoring of Linux Processes via SSH. I know it's possible via SNMP (however, if possible we would like to avoid configuring SNMP individually per server).

Yesterday I was searching in the Exchange module &* found the 'Linux_SSH_ServiceStatus' but it doesn't work & doesn't seem to capture processes resource usage.

Does anyone had this need in the past?
I'm not that into Linux therefore, I'm not sure how to/if it's possible to have a datasource for this.

Thank you!

Regards,

11 Replies

• On 6/27/2022 at 10:27 AM, Austin Culbertson said:

That being said, my personal belief is that process monitoring is wholly insufficient for monitoring the state of your hosts and processes (good for collecting metrics, though). I would encourage folks to investigate how they can introspect the health of their process/services via whatever means available when possible (Think: performing a DB query instead of monitoring for MySQL/Postgres; Running `service <name> status` commands instead of simply checking if the process is running, etc). This takes a little more work, but is ABSOLUTELY worth the time investment.

Austin, could not agree more!  We have a scheduler platform that relies on processes running on remote systems in order to be able to execute.  They're not even registered as services (in Linux).  And if the process fails the job fails.  We would prefer to know if a job will fail before it runs, so monitoring the process is (so far) the best solution we can come up with.  

On another note: I really wish LogicMonitor would support webhooks....