Forum Discussion

AustinC
Icon for Neophyte rankNeophyte
4 months ago
Solved

LogicMonitor Device Provisioning Workflow Diagram?

Does LogicMonitor have a high-level diagram of the order of operations for provisioning hosts to LogicMonitor? I’m working on my own to detail specifics related to our own internal design, but I have thusfar been unable to locate said diagram from LogicMonitor’s side.

In particular, I’d like to see something that shows ‘Once a device is provisioned it is evaluate for SNMP reachability/SysOID mappings, then propertysources, then DataSources/EventSources are matched based upon relevant properties.’

Is anyone aware of such a chart from LogicMonitor?

• Add device → system discovery (snmp, including categories based on sysoid mappings) → auto discovery (including propertysources, datasources, eventsources, configsources, logsources, etc.). If auto discovery causes property changes, auto discovery usually runs again. Within auto discovery, there may be priority given to propertysources.

4 Replies

• Add device → system discovery (snmp, including categories based on sysoid mappings) → auto discovery (including propertysources, datasources, eventsources, configsources, logsources, etc.). If auto discovery causes property changes, auto discovery usually runs again. Within auto discovery, there may be priority given to propertysources.

This matches my understanding of it, but would be helpful if there was a workflow/image that we could quickly reference as an authority -- I hate reinventing the wheel :) 

• I am not aware of a complete doc like you are asking for but. But the process you are referring to is Active Discovery. This article helps go over that. Someone else may know of a better article that covers your ask tho.

• I am not aware of a complete doc like you are asking for but. But the process you are referring to is Active Discovery. This article helps go over that. Someone else may know of a better article that covers your ask tho.

I believe Active Discovery is more of a bespoke process to DataSources, and not ALL LogicModules -- the language in the support article also supports my belief.

That said, your comment definitely hints at the fact that the term ‘Active Discovery’ might be overloaded, given that running ‘Active Discovery’ against a host does more than just run Active Discovery for DataSources. Absent input from LM directly, I’ll have to chew on that… Thank you!