Forum Discussion

Dominique
Icon for Advisor rankAdvisor
3 years ago

List of devices per collector and per site

Hello,

We have currently four sites A,B,C & D.

Each site has its own collectors (2,8,6,8) all our collectors are auto-balanced per site.

As we are putting in place SNMP Traps I would like to know if it is possible to have the list of devices persite?

Thanks,

Dom

5 Replies

• Since you have collectors per site, you can just run a Resource Inventory Report and include the "system.collectordesc" and/or "system.collectorid" properties. Then sort/group by the collector.

Anonymous

I've had this DS hanging out in my portal for a while and never committed it to the repo nor my github. It's now on my github. Simply add your portal as a device and add the token with the appropriate property names. It'll create instance groups under the applied device, one group per Collector. Devices are created as instances under the Collector group it is assigned to (preferred collector).

I also built this python script to automatically create dynamic resource groups. It creates Collector groups, with groups for each Collector in the group, then dynamically adds the devices.

• Thanks Stuart, Excellent as usual ... starting the fight to get Python3 and this "Custom" installed... :)/emoticons/smile@2x.png 2x" title=":)" width="20" />

• Hello Stuart,

What is the impact on Logic Monitor? load on collectors?

Any risks to have alerts... for any reason when setting up this scripts... ?

Thanks,

Dom

Anonymous

The python script that builds the dynamic groups shouldn't have any impact unless you're running it on the collector.  It makes a few GETs to find out what is present already and makes 1 call to create the parent group (if it doesn't already exist), 1 call per collector group to create the collector group groups, and 1 call per collector to create the collector group.  So, if you have 30 collectors across 3 groups, it makes up to 34 API calls.

The DS makes one API call for discovery and one for collection. 

All told, they should both be pretty lightweight.