Forum Discussion

marting
Icon for Neophyte rankNeophyte
3 years ago

Instance-level properties / tracking of configured DNS servers

Kindof a two-parter but related.

What I'm looking to do is track the configured DNS servers on each of our Windows boxes as a property.

Question 1: is there already something built in or in the Exchange that does that?  I poked around, but couldn't find anything.

If not then...  I can come up with the PowerShell to do this without much trouble but...

Question 2: is it possible to set properties at an instance level?  What I'm thinking is I would want to set this property at each interface instance since that's where the DNS server configuration happens.

Thanks!

2 Replies

• On 1/29/2022 at 1:38 PM, marting said:

Question 2: is it possible to set properties at an instance level?  What I'm thinking is I would want to set this property at each interface instance since that's where the DNS server configuration happens.

I'm not sure about #1, but to answer #2 you can set properties at the instance level using Active Discovery autoproperties. In your ActiveDiscovery output you can include custom auto.* properties:

https://www.logicmonitor.com/support/logicmodules/datasources/active-discovery/script-active-discovery

Anonymous

What's your goal for this monitoring? If you're looking to see that certain servers are set as the primary and certain others are set as the secondary, this would probably be best done through a ConfigSource.

What instances are you looking to set the properties on?