Forum Discussion

10 months ago
Solved

Global Instance Group Alert Thresholds

Hey Y’all,

Wondering if anyone has any insight on this. The built-in module for monitoring temperatures on HPE iLO’s creates instance groups underneath for the sensors in different physical locations on the device.

You can’t easily set a global alert threshold that works for this - a CPU is going to run at a much higher temperature than ambient intake.

I know you can set alert thresholds for instance groups, but that appears to be on a per-device basis, not globally, and is difficult to manage in large deployments.

The ‘easiest’ workaround I determined is splitting it into multiple datasources with filters to only report on certain OID’s, with thresholds for each, but there has to be an easier way.

Thanks!

• For static thresholds cloning is unfortunately the best way. I avoid it like the plague and have only done it on one DS (snmp_network_interfaces). 

There are some changes coming out regarding instance groups. You might ask LM for some insight to know if that will make instance group thresholds a possibility.

Alternatively, you could set globally dynamic thresholds. Dynamic thresholds work on the instance level, so that might work for you.

2 Replies

• For static thresholds cloning is unfortunately the best way. I avoid it like the plague and have only done it on one DS (snmp_network_interfaces). 

There are some changes coming out regarding instance groups. You might ask LM for some insight to know if that will make instance group thresholds a possibility.

Alternatively, you could set globally dynamic thresholds. Dynamic thresholds work on the instance level, so that might work for you.

• Yeah, that is a limitation I’ve also seen. Another possible workaround is to create separate Datapoints like TemperatureCPU and TemperatureController which only populate when that instance is one of those. Would be harder to write and likely not better than creating multiple Datasources in this case.