Forum Discussion

4 years ago

Configure Monitoring/Alerting VMotion on VMware

Hello, I would like to know if anyone has configured monitoring and alerting of vmotion. I was looking at a straight forward configuration. Support could not provide anything as LM out the box does not monitor at that level.  

I have a vmcluster which the VM's keep failing over the VM guests to one host about once or twice a week. I am not able to find the cause and thought LM monitoring and alerting would help.

any and all help appreciated. 

4 Replies

Anonymous

You could create a config source to monitor the list of VMs on a particular server then alert whenever that list changes. That would at least give you an alert right when it happens, which could lead to correlation. 

Is there a log entry that corresponds to the vmotion (i'm a network guy, so i just don't know what might be available). If there is, you could setup an event source to look for that log entry and open an alert when that happens.

• 26 minutes ago, Stuart Weenig said:

You could create a config source to monitor the list of VMs on a particular server then alert whenever that list changes. That would at least give you an alert right when it happens, which could lead to correlation. 

Is there a log entry that corresponds to the vmotion (i'm a network guy, so i just don't know what might be available). If there is, you could setup an event source to look for that log entry and open an alert when that happens.

would you have any sample config source list you could share? thank you

Anonymous

There are a couple out of the box that you might find helpful: VMware_vSphere_VMconfiguration or PaloAlto_FW_RunningConfigXML.

The idea is that you use the groovy script to go out to the device and fetch the blob of text. You print that blob of text to the stdout of the Groovy script. Here is the documentation on our custom ESX class.

• Matthew

one approach that might lead you to the info you are looking for is to monitor your VCenter/s directly instead of monitoring each individual ESXi host.  Then, you may be able to use the VMware_vCenter_Alerts (locator code LD2N3E) in conjunction with modifications to VCenter's event alerting that would trigger an alert & notification in Logicmonitor whenever a guest VM was migrated due to vmotion.

Monitoring your individual ESXi hosts does present the need for potentially a lot of customization in Logicmonitor to account for the results of vmotion moving guest VMs around among ESXi hosts.