Forum Discussion

2 years ago

Cherwell with O-Auth2?

Recently started our journey with LM, and we use Cherwell for our ticketing system. We are trying to do away with e-mail based alerts and use API integration, but seems the Cherwell Integration is only Basic Auth, and Cherwell uses O-Auth2 to get a bearer token. Has anyone attempted to alter the integration to use O-Auth2?

3 Replies

• 9 hours ago, Stuart Weenig said:

Not as familiar with oauth as i should be. Couldn't you just authenticate in your browser to get the bearer token then just supply that in the header of the request? I didn't know there was a "the Cherwell" integration. Did LM make one? Or did they just set one up for you during your onboarding?

So with O-Auth, your do a short authentication with your username, Password and an assigned client ID from the Cherwell portal (or any O-Auth portal) and you get a time sensitive bearer token you can use for a short period of time to do all the traditional POST/GET/PUT, etc. This way the token used to do work can't be used in the wild forever. 

It's not much of an addition either, but currently the LM Integration support only allows Basic Auth, so I moved this to a feature request.

• Confirmed with TAC, no O-Auth yet. It's been asked enough in feature requests that they are looking at it. In the meantime, I created a FastAPI middleware service too translate the Basic Auth to O-Auth and pass through teh JSON data block and return the response from Cherwell. Running that on my collector so it's local.

• Not as familiar with oauth as i should be. Couldn't you just authenticate in your browser to get the bearer token then just supply that in the header of the request? I didn't know there was a "the Cherwell" integration. Did LM make one? Or did they just set one up for you during your onboarding?