Forum Discussion

7 months ago
Solved

Best Practices for removing clients from LogicMonitor

I was just wondering if there are specific steps I should follow when I need to remove specific clients from LogicMonitor. Do I need to start of with removing the devices first? Or If I remove the specific collector from our LogicMonitor portal will this automatically from the devices. Thanks

• Hi,

If the goal is to completely remove a resource from your logicmonitor portal, then you can just go to the resource, hit on “Manage” and then click Delete. Make sure you then also permanently delete it from the Recently Deleted folder.

Here is the doc for that: https://www.logicmonitor.com/support/devices/adding-managing-devices/deleting-devices

Removing a collector only removes the collector and will not delete the devices the collector is monitoring.

Hope that helps

3 Replies

• Remember to back everything up first. If you don’t yet backup your LogicMonitor portal(s), DM me.

You should remove client-related items in the following order.  Like provisioning, you should script this, as it’s a pain to do it all manually:

• LogicModule Group (if you have any customer-specific LogicModules)
    • Integrations (these can’t be grouped)
    • Alert Rules (these can’t be grouped)
    • Escalation Chains (these can’t be grouped)
    • Recipient Groups (these can’t be grouped)
    • User Group
    • Role Group
    • Netscan Group
    • Website Group
    • Service Group
    • Resource Group (remembering to HARD delete Resources by removing them from recently deleted if you are using the UI)
    • Report Group
    • Dashboard Group
    • Open Telemetry Collectors
    • Collector Groups

Of course, there should be ONE GROUP PER CUSTOMER and should be tagged with the customer code. We use a simple 3-letter all-caps code like “ABC”), but you will probably have a different system. For example, our Report Groups will be named consistently for all group types:

• “ABC - ACME Broadcasting Company”

Where entities can’t be grouped (like Integrations), we make sure that they start with the three-letter customer code.

Ajay
    Icon for LM Champion rankLM Champion

Hi,

If the goal is to completely remove a resource from your logicmonitor portal, then you can just go to the resource, hit on “Manage” and then click Delete. Make sure you then also permanently delete it from the Recently Deleted folder.

Here is the doc for that: https://www.logicmonitor.com/support/devices/adding-managing-devices/deleting-devices

Removing a collector only removes the collector and will not delete the devices the collector is monitoring.

Hope that helps

• Remember to back everything up first. If you don’t yet backup your LogicMonitor portal(s), DM me.

You should remove client-related items in the following order.  Like provisioning, you should script this, as it’s a pain to do it all manually:

• LogicModule Group (if you have any customer-specific LogicModules)
    • Integrations (these can’t be grouped)
    • Alert Rules (these can’t be grouped)
    • Escalation Chains (these can’t be grouped)
    • Recipient Groups (these can’t be grouped)
    • User Group
    • Role Group
    • Netscan Group
    • Website Group
    • Service Group
    • Resource Group (remembering to HARD delete Resources by removing them from recently deleted if you are using the UI)
    • Report Group
    • Dashboard Group
    • Open Telemetry Collectors
    • Collector Groups

Of course, there should be ONE GROUP PER CUSTOMER and should be tagged with the customer code. We use a simple 3-letter all-caps code like “ABC”), but you will probably have a different system. For example, our Report Groups will be named consistently for all group types:

• “ABC - ACME Broadcasting Company”

Where entities can’t be grouped (like Integrations), we make sure that they start with the three-letter customer code.

This is the correct answer. The answer currently marked correct only instructs how to remove one device, not “remove specific clients from LogicMonitor” as the OP asked.