Forum Discussion

Kelemvor
Icon for Expert rankExpert
6 months ago

Alert Rule Syntax

Hi,

Because LM uses Text-based matching, I know it’s picky about how you configure alert rules with regards to /s and *s in the Group field.  I just want to make sure I understand this right.  I pulled a list of every alert we’ve gotten for the last year, and compared that to our list of Alert Rules, and found some problems.  I noticed we have some things setup incorrectly in our portal and we might be missing alerts.

Scenario: Let’s say I have a group called Production Servers.  Inside that group I have groups for Web Servers, App Servers, and Database Servers.  Let’s also say each of those sub groups have other sub-groups inside of them.  Each of the groups has servers in them.

• If I have an alert rule set with group “Production Servers”, will that find servers that are in the Production Servers group but not in the sub groups?
  • If I have an alert rule set with group “Production Servers*”, will that find servers that are in the Production Servers group AND in any of the sub groups?
  • If I have an alert rule set with group “Production Servers/*”, will that only find servers that are in the sub groups, but not servers that are in Production Servers?

Are there any other variations on that I should keep in mind?

Thanks!

3 Replies