Forum Discussion

AustinC
Icon for Neophyte rankNeophyte
8 months ago

UIv4 - Managing Static Group Memberships - Huge UX Issue?

Hey y’all,

I am entirely unable to intuit out how I can move resources into a static group in UIv4 -- The closest I’ve been able to get to documentation for this are:

Resource Group Overview (New UI) | LogicMonitor

Changing Resource Group Membership (New UI) | LogicMonitor

The last link seems to indicate controlling this on a per-Resource basis -- but I should be able to add multiples devices to a group from the group’s perspective from a usability perspective.

Am I missing something completely obvious here? Mostly asking because this is the first real thing that’s severely underserved my intuition with UIv4 -- hoping this will also elevate visibility, as I tend to be really strong on intuition, and LogicMonitor has suited my intuition very well historically.

10 Replies

• Hi Austin, so you are trying to move multiple devices into a static group at once? I would normally do this either via CSV Netscan (if its newly added devices) or I would use dynamic grouping to shape the group the way I want it via appliesTo, and then turn off the option to auto-assign devices to make it a static group again.

This is how I would do it in UIv3, and should work in UIv4 as well. I don’t think either UI version has a better way to bulk-add devices to a static group.

mray
    Icon for LM Conqueror rankLM Conqueror

I should be able to select ALL of the resources I want to add to a brand new static group in the exact same pane in which I am creating the static group at time of creation

That’s the key right there! That’s the use case needed for the product team! I did pass this feedback along to our product team and will continue to champion this feature parity. 

So, if you already have them in a group, you can add them to another group.

lol yes...

mray
    Icon for LM Conqueror rankLM Conqueror

@Matt Whitney coming in with one of my favorite hidden workarounds!

Right now, in the new UI, there’s no way to edit group membership in the group settings. @Stuart Weenig is correct with the Inventory Tab. You can use that to bulk add resources to a group. The trick is you need a group shared by all the resources you want to move. Maybe a “All Devices” or some other big bucket type group.

https://www.logicmonitor.com/support/inventory-tab-new-ui

• I would use dynamic grouping to shape the group the way I want it via appliesTo, and then turn off the option to auto-assign devices to make it a static group again.

This is a pretty clever way of doing it.

• Hi Austin, so you are trying to move multiple devices into a static group at once? I would normally do this either via CSV Netscan (if its newly added devices) or I would use dynamic grouping to shape the group the way I want it via appliesTo, and then turn off the option to auto-assign devices to make it a static group again.

This is how I would do it in UIv3, and should work in UIv4 as well. I don’t think either UI version has a better way to bulk-add devices to a static group.

Yes, multiple devices at once. The challenge is that Dynamic Groups can only be created by Administrators (understandably so), so my end users only have access to leveraging Static Groups -- I’ve stood up a Terraform repo to manage groups more dynamically/with appropriate safeguards, but it is in its infancy (read: probably unusable 🙃), and, as my end users start to learn how to work with LogicMonitor, static groups are commonly more accessible, and I can provide them very simple patterns to reproduce and learn property hierarchies with via Static Groups. 

Appreciate the neat trick -- I’ll try to put that in my back pocket for time being :) Unfortunately, still doesn’t handle the need for a more readily-accessible form of group membership management via the UI (particularly for a platform that is so UI-focused).

Also good to know about the Inventory angle mentioned elsewhere above -- It looks like it has a ton of value and usability, but the fact that it is 100% divorced from the creation of a new static group (e.g. you have to create the group first, then add devices to it in an entirely unrelated step) tells me that this is a huge gap in usability that should be closed. I should be able to select ALL of the resources I want to add to a brand new static group in the exact same pane in which I am creating the static group at time of creation -- any other process is simply a work around, in my mind.

For clarity sake, I say this with all the love I can muster -- My emphasis is more a symptom of how strongly I feel this gap needs to be closed than it is frustration :)  

• It feels like the Inventory tab shoud/would accomplish this. But from the folder perspective you can’t add devices it appears.

• Yeah, this is missing. Wonder if it’s on purpose because they thought nobody used it. I don’t use that feature, but my use cases are different.

The widget on the info tab that used to show all children (sub-groups and direct devices) also doesn’t show devices anymore. And if there are no subgroups, the widget itself doesn’t show up. Even if that widget is not there, the properties widget doesn’t take up the available screen real estate.

• Then in the Info pane, the Static Groups should be listed first. and the breadcrumbs prefer static groups over dynamic when re-loading pages… better yet, the previous context/path.  We have alerts come into Teams via a webhook, I’ve added device links to the bottom of the messge cards.  That device page loads with the first group as its breadcrumb.  I then have to go to the info tab, click to focus on the static group to get to the client folder for navigating their environmental… (MSP servicing multiple clients in the same LM portal)

• Don’t get me started on the lack of a “home” group for resources. This is actually why we have a rule to only have resources in one static group, by definition, enforced by code. The rest are dynamic groups.