Forum Discussion

11 months ago
Solved

DataSource recording zeroes for non-zero raw responses

I wrote a DataSource that is exhibiting a weird problem. Most of the data points are recording zeroes, but when I click "Poll Now", I see non-zero values in the Raw Response. The DataSource uses multi-line key=value pairs.

I'm not sure how to troubleshoot this. Has anyone seen this before?

Here is a screenshot to illustrate my issue:

18 Replies

• I’m currently polling every 15 minutes. Could the issue be that I need a more frequent polling period?

No, the poll rate shouldn’t matter. Especially if the datapoint type should be a gauge. Just try it out and see if you get what you are expecting. If you do, then you know you’ve got it setup right.

• Gauge worked:

This still doesn’t feel right. I’m only considering adding alerts to the ike_session_state and/or tunnel_status.

However, it seems like a plausible use-case for someone to desire to place thresholds for other fields. If these fields are gauge, how would you craft a threshold for anything?

• If you set them as gauge and you are getting the number you expect in the unit you expect, you’d just set a threshold for that number. 

LM is only as good as the underlying data that is provided to it. I’d dig deeper into the documentation to see if the bytes are actually counters or if they’re defined as integers with a unit of time associated with it. 

Are you sourcing from SNMP or an API or something else?

• I’m sourcing via API

I’d be surprised if the API is giving you a counter. Most don’t do that. You typically only see them in SNMP mibs these days. They don’t make computer scientists like they used to.

• When you copied, it didn’t get the gif unless there’s something i have to do to get it to move.