Forum Discussion

2 years ago

Manual topology mapping

After years of suffering with the horrific (and broken) topology mapping, how about just giving us the ability to create our own dependencies/maps, similar to The Dude or MangeEngine's OpManager?

21 Replies

• I’d be happy if topology mapping would just utilize LLDP/CDP as a starting point.  It’d be better & more accurate than what’s currently happening.

• As it stands now, you'd be able to drag and drop one node onto another. This would bring up a dialog that would let you input the edge type, direction, and in some cases allow you to search for an instance on the dragged device. But big picture, the goal is to allow you to create edges without having to write code, or even leave the mapping canvas.

I wanted to give this a bump here: This isn’t functioning if it is supposed to be in place.

at best, the “Manual Mapping” option lets you attempt to create a line between two objects, but when you do make this attempt a prompt appears stating: “Both Source and Target should have External Resource ID (ERI) defined.” or, when both have an ERI defined: “The selected source node doesn't have valid instance available, manual edge can not be created.”

So multiple Edges on devices with ERI’s can’t be created due to this.  

While I understand that this feature, in particular, is currently in testing… The entire community has voiced that the Topology feature, as it stands, is in dire need of revision and Dev attention.

Version 1.86 has only made things worse.

• This is currently being worked on. We recognize the need to be able to fill in the gaps and correct things to get complete maps and facilitate RCA. I'm hesitant to post mockups here, but if you'd like to see the design we're working on I'd love to get some time on any of your calendar's to show you and get some feedback. Your CSM can arrange this if you just ask them for some time with Michael to see the "manual mapping" concept. 

As it stands now, you'd be able to drag and drop one node onto another. This would bring up a dialog that would let you input the edge type, direction, and in some cases allow you to search for an instance on the dragged device. But big picture, the goal is to allow you to create edges without having to write code, or even leave the mapping canvas.

• Agree, at every enterprise I've worked, manual topology mapping has been the only way to accurately describe an IT service.

• Look in exchange for L3X4CH "Manual topology mapping"

Set 'manual.upstream.deviceid' as a property, and give it the Device ID number(s) of the parent resource(s) separated by a comma. 

In cases where topo.namespace by the upstream device(s) you must provide the namespace(s) of the upstream device(s) using 'manual.upstream.namespace' separated by a comma. Use "none" if no namespace is required for one of a subset of device/namespaces  e.g. namespace1,none,namespace2

Just tag devices from bottom up and it done! ie DB -> Web -> LoadBalancer

neilticktin
      Icon for Neophyte rankNeophyte

>> Look in exchange for L3X4CH "Manual topology mapping"

Michael_BakerJust to make sure that I'm not being lame, you're saying there's a manual topology mapping module we can download from Exchange?  I ask because in looking, I'm not seeing one.

• Agreed, this needs a simple UI designer.

Check out the learning bytes in the training portal. There's one called "Manual Topology Mapping".  Maybe one of these days i'll make a UI where you can pick and choose the things you want related and it'll just spit out the topology source...