Forum Discussion

7 years ago

Updated AWS EC2 ScheduledEvents

HCPFGA

The default LogicMonitor datasource names the instances in a strange way and then alerts for events that have already completed.  I've added a better instance naming convention that clearly identifies the event that will occur and when.  I also put in logic to detect if the scheduled event has already taken place to prevent unnecessary alerting.

5 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
  • Any chance you guys could implement these changes into the back end of the core product?  I only ask because the new datasource doesn't expose the code that's running, so I can't tweak the output myself.  I really only need to be alerted on scheduled events that haven't happened yet.

• On 1/5/2018 at 1:17 PM, Brandon said:

Any chance you guys could implement these changes into the back end of the core product?  I only ask because the new datasource doesn't expose the code that's running, so I can't tweak the output myself.  I really only need to be alerted on scheduled events that haven't happened yet.

@Brandon I'll mention this to our team and see whats possible to do.

We'll keep you updated.

Sarah_Terry
    Icon for Product Manager rankProduct Manager

@Brandon we're adding the ability to filter those events out based on ILPs. So with v99 we're adding ILPs for scheduled events (one of which details the status of the event), and with one of the following releases we'll add the ability to perform AD filtering for the EC2 Scheduled Events DataSource based on those ILPs. This will allow you to filter out events once they've taken place. Will this work for your use case?

• @Sarah Terry - Thanks for the reply!  Filtering out the discovery of the events using ILP's would help us prevent alerting, but the event also wouldn't be discovered.  So, unless I'm mistaken, if we wanted to have a history of events that have occurred on an instance or environment, LM wouldn't show them.  This might be a "pick your poison" scenario where we would need to choose between collecting the data, or alerting on it - but not necessarily both.