Forum Discussion

8 years ago

Managing Alert visibility on a "per-group" level

Good Morning all,

we are a multi-Team managed service provider who, surprisingly, manages customers team-wise. We are in the process of switching to LogicMonitor right now and we have some issues regarding shared devices and their DataSource Instances, that belongs to different teams. We created Devicegroups for our teams, but if we put shared devices like loadbalancer, firewalls, storages etc. in said groups, ALL teams will see ALL alarms, regardless of responsibility. If one team decides to turn off an alarm on a shared device, the alarm is obviously deactivated on all other teams, as well.

I'm aware of the Datasourceinstance grouping mechanism, but afaik it cant help with the problems i mentioned. We would like to request a feature where you can somehow mask datasources, their instances and their respective alarms based on the group you are in while you're viewing the device, so alarms and instances that don't belong to your team doesn't show up at all. It would be really convenient to somehow configure a "view" of a device based on the group you are in that doesn't interfere with the device datasources. Bonuspoints if you bring in alarm-tuning in this somehow. :)/emoticons/smile@2x.png 2x" title=":)" width="20">

Regards,

Bastian

3 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
  • Thank you for posting Bastian - so if I could explain this as a use case:

Use case:

- Multiple teams managing different Device Instances, Instance Groups, and in this example VIP Statistics- would be the datasource, which has many instances, and they are already grouped according to a specific Datasource Instance Grouping

- Team A requires alerting and visibility only for a subset of the instances/interfaces and, needs to ignore instances/interfaces irrelevant to them.  

- Team B would likewise require another subset of instances/interfaces.

- At present - Disabling alerting or deactivating for those irrelevant instance/interfaces for one team tied to a Datasource Instance Group would affect another Team and vice versa. 

Regards,

H

• I need this too please.  Use case:

Device A in in Group X and Group Y.  I need managers of managers of Group X to see only Ping alerts, and managers of Group Y to see only alerts from a custom DataSource.

• As well as filtering based on DataSourceInstanceGroups, it would be good to be able to filter based on DataSourceInstanceProperties.

The same is true for alert rules, it would be good to be able to set an AlertRule based on both DataSourceInstanceGroup and DataSourceInstanceProperty.