Forum Discussion

9 years ago

Grid View or Table View for multiple text info fields

Hi,

I have a need to return from my SQL Servers some text based information that I want to display in a table or grid view. Its not counter/statistic/event alert based but the information may include counter/statistic information in addition to a number of text information fields.

Perhaps the table/grid view and associated data source can be limited to 10 to 20 records, and provide a refresh internal options of 1 hour, 1 day or 1 week.

The data is NOT accumulated by instead refreshed (overwritten) for each interval execution.

Use cases for my requirements would be once day or week where I would like to present a grid view for each of the following datasets

1. Top 5 Missing indexing information = includes Database Name, table Name, Missing index definition, User Seek count, User Scan count. This information is captured via SQL Server query on internal management views.
2. Top 5 database queries = includes Database Name, query text limited to say 512 bytes, CPU, Reads, Memory, Duration - again capture by a query
3. Top 10 File IO databases = includes Database Name, Logical data file name, physical file name, bunch of stats fields - again captured by a query

So essentially this is not alert data but provides some tuning and health information in the form of a number of text fields and stats fields presented in a table/grid view that are refreshed (overwritten) in each capture execution (collection interval).

thanks
Rob

2 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
  • Hey Rob -

You might check out the Scripted EventSource for this use-case. It's not exactly what you're asking for, but I think will get you most of the way there. Check out: 

http://www.logicmonitor.com/support/eventsources/types-of-events/script-eventsources/

In this case you'd write a script (or maybe a stored procedure) that would write your text-based metrics out somewhere (e.g. sql table, text file, etc.) and schedule this job to run at your desired frequency. Then you'd write an EventSource script that would query the place where that data is written. The EventSource logic will assign those events to whichever devices on which it applies, and you can optionally setup alerts that would serve to remind someone to go check these and perform tuning accordingly.

Anonymous

Hi Matthew, thanks for the info but really its about presenting the information in the Web Portal so its a one stop shop for all visualisations for health, status and tuning information. I try to avoid adding extra databases or jobs to my customer's database servers.

Also atm the maximum schedule interval is every 1 hour, any chance we can get larger intervals like every 6 hours, 12 hours, 24 hours, 1 week?

regards

Rob