Forum Discussion

6 years ago

File / Database Size Monitoring

Is there a good datasource out there to monitor the size on disk of a specific file or folder? I would love the Microsoft Exchange datasource (or other) to be able to deliver and track the total size of the database.

Thoughts?

Will

6 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
  • 2 minutes ago, Kerry DeVilbiss said:

I just reached out to them - should be ready to go now.

You rock! Will provide feedback soon.

• Awesome! Thank you Kerry. 

Any idea how long the approval process takes?

• Hey @WillFulmer,

Here's a DataSource that uses the PowerShell 'Get-MailboxDatabase' command to retrieve the size of the Exchange mailbox databases. I've tested it against both Exchange 2013 and Exchange 2016, but as usual, this is "officially unsupported" by LogicMonitor. The script should detect wmi.user and wmi.pass if set, otherwise it will attempt to use the Windows service account that the collector runs as.

MicrosoftExchange_DatabaseSize should be available (our DataSource team will need to approve it first) via locator code: M2D7ZY

Cheers,

Kerry

• 16 minutes ago, Kerry DeVilbiss said:

@WillFulmer - the *best* way to do this is probably going to be a PowerShell datasource (I have one that I need to clean up and then I can share it out here.) In the meantime, you can use the built-in UNC path monitoring to keep an eye on the database directory and track the total size of that folder.

For example - I went to my Exchange server, selected 'Add Other Monitoring' and plugged in a UNC path to a hidden share that's accessible to the collector account:

Which yields the following results:

Give me a little bit of time to try and cook up the PowerShell version of an Exchange database size datasource - and I'll circle back and publish it here. 

Cheers,

Kerry

Yes!!

• @WillFulmer - the *best* way to do this is probably going to be a PowerShell datasource (I have one that I need to clean up and then I can share it out here.) In the meantime, you can use the built-in UNC path monitoring to keep an eye on the database directory and track the total size of that folder.

For example - I went to my Exchange server, selected 'Add Other Monitoring' and plugged in a UNC path to a hidden share that's accessible to the collector account:

Which yields the following results:

Give me a little bit of time to try and cook up the PowerShell version of an Exchange database size datasource - and I'll circle back and publish it here. 

Cheers,

Kerry