Forum Discussion

6 years ago

Dashboard graph widgets - aggregate by instance name / device group name

We have several clustered devices where metrics are gathered on each node.  However, the instances across each node are identical.  When attempting to graph this data, this means that I would need to add a new datapoint for each instance and use a glob pattern to select the devices from which to pull those instances.  This can mean that a lot of time goes into creating these graphs if there are several instances to monitor. Examples:

• Three Solr nodes - each servicing search requests for the same 10 collections.  In order to see the total number of GET requests for each of those collections, I would need to create a graph that has 10 individual datapoints.  Instead, I would like to add one datapoint and have the graph intelligently aggregate all instances that have the same name, regardless of the node.
  • Several device groups exist under a parent group.  If I want to see the average CPU utilization across each of these groups on a single graph, I would need to add a separate datapoint for each group.

A potential solution could be to allow the integration of regex instead of glob patterns to allow for capture groups.  Otherwise a simple checkbox for "aggregate instances by device group" and "aggregate instances by instance names" when selecting aggregated graph types would be extremely useful and time-saving.