Forum Discussion

9 years ago

Custom Ping Intervals

Currently, LM has hard-coded the Ping dataSource to use 250ms ICMP Ping intervals.  We need the flexibility to adjust the Ping interval (ms) in the DataSource (Either static or system property value).

Background:

We've seen at least one company "Mimosa" that has changed it's newest firmware to block ICMP messages if they are sent "too quickly".  For Mimosa wireless gear, this is represented in LM as an 80% packetloss (2 pings permitted, 8 are then rejected).  Mimosa does not want their hardware resources depleted by multiple, quick, Ping requests.  The workaround currently is to alter the thresholds in LM to compensate for an 80% packetloss reading.  By having the ability to adjust Ping Interval for these hosts in LM, we can have better visibility into network issues.

4 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
  • We've seen at least one customer accomplish this using a scripted datasource that calls the OS 'ping' command and parses the output via regex.

Real soon now we'll be launching a Datasource Exchange, by which customers will be able to share their custom LogicModules more easily. Stay tuned...

• 22 hours ago, Matthew Dunham said:

We've seen at least one customer accomplish this using a scripted datasource that calls the OS 'ping' command and parses the output via regex.

Yeah, that something I investigated.  It doesn't look like Java has native support, and a wrapper library is necessary.  I'd prefer to code it agasint LogicMonitor's Ping library that already parses Windows and Linux Ping output, but if I have to I'll write my own.  Thanks Matt!

• On 2/28/2016 at 1:02 PM, Jessie Bryan said:

Currently, LM has hard-coded the Ping dataSource to use 250ms ICMP Ping intervals.  We need the flexibility to adjust the Ping interval (ms) in the DataSource (Either static or system property value).

Background:

We've seen at least one company "Mimosa" that has changed it's newest firmware to block ICMP messages if they are sent "too quickly".  For Mimosa wireless gear, this is represented in LM as an 80% packetloss (2 pings permitted, 8 are then rejected).  Mimosa does not want their hardware resources depleted by multiple, quick, Ping requests.  The workaround currently is to alter the thresholds in LM to compensate for an 80% packetloss reading.  By having the ability to adjust Ping Interval for these hosts in LM, we can have better visibility into network issues.

We actually ran into this exact problem to.  Dell's iDRAC will drop packets after 4 pings in 1 second or less.  We fixed the issue by dropping the ping count down, but it not ideal.  I agree, and had requested in an email (prior to this community) to have an option to adjust the latency.

• I have a number of events with lost ping,  where the data source shows that ping is failing...but it happens WHILE I"m on both the collector and the end-target host, and I'm running manual pings between them with no drops at all.

The only solve I've found is to reboot the collector that has the issue..