Forum Discussion

mnagel
Icon for Professor rankProfessor
5 years ago

add step failure description to website alerts

If a step fails in a website check, the step description should be produced in the alert.  I am very tired of fighting with the system to get it to do the correct/obvious thing and my clients find it ridiculous to have to dig around to know what is actually happening.  Please make the computer do the work so we don't have to.

4 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
  • Assuming this is for the website-Overall instance--I'll just leave these other posts about improving and providing better context for Website (formerly Services) alerting:

/topic/1029-web-service-token-to-include-the-step//topic/864-step-variable-in-service-alert-templates/

I am guessing the issue is one of scoping. Both website-Overall and the individual test locations are treated as separate instances. LogicMonitor doesn't have a good mechanism for instances to share data and metadata. I have contemplated creating a job/script/function that crawls our ticketing system for Website alert tickets, polls the LM API for the message from the individual test location (which we populated with the ##WEBSITERESPONSE## token), and insert that into the ticket. ?‍♂️

• The real problem with all of this is lack of full template support (with conditionals and other logic structures found in Jinja2 for Python or any of the various Groovy engines (e.g., https://www.baeldung.com/groovy-template-engines).  Since everything is static with value substitution, you get stuck very fast trying to generate useful results.  The per-datapoint alert template is a decent workaround for datasources, but there is nothing similar for any other logicmodule, unfortunately.  We solved a lot of it by sending all the tokens via an email integration where they are unwrapped and processed before generating a ticket with the result, but you need tokens to make it work.  And we get stuck due to some odd design decisions (e.g., acks are not sent via the custom email integration...because).  I once was asked to include a documentation note for a client in their alerts (only theirs), but there is no way to do this short of editing every template, including datapoint templates.  This is what support told me to do -- for real.  You can't use a custom email integration because you lose the ability to respond to ACK/SDT and you don't get certain messages, like ACKs.

• Sadly, no feedback at all on this from LM and it is a huge issue -- this is something we cannot workaround on our own, the tokens for step descriptions and other related details must be added to avoid sending useless information to our clients.

• We have website-Overall trigger critical alerts and individual test locations trigger errors. I have toyed with the idea of a script that scrapes our ticketing system's API (ServiceNow) for website alerts, query the LM REST API for the alert message from the one/all error level alerts for that monitor object, and add that "context" to the ticket. 

We're pretty heavy in AWS so this would be all done via one or more Lambda Functions. Biggest downside--this is asynchronous.