Forum Discussion

3 years ago

Query on collectors

Hi Team ,

I have 3 query -

1- when i search any cloud resource in resource tab then i see 2 resource name always one device name other one same device name with word computeengine in front of it , could you plz explain why.

2- i have seen in many cases where we see many collectors like 10/12 (medium collectors) , cant we achieve the same using 2 collector with XXL capacity , one of my friend ask this question which is the best practice ?

3- if LM portal is not opening of my Domain then whom to contact ?

4 Replies

• Since you are seeing "computeengine" I assume you are monitoring Google Cloud? If that works the same as AWS and Azure, there are two ways you can add a cloud VM. you can add it like any other on-prem server using Resources > Add, or LM can automatically discover your GCP virtual machines via LMCloud. I suggest just using LMCloud primarily but still have a collector to collector more details. It may be a bit confusing on how LMCloud works if your new to LM, but I suggest reviewing the various videos, training and documentation on it. There may be more information about LM's AWS or Azure setup than GCP, but I assume it works the same either way.

I'm not sure what you mean by 10/12 medium collectors. You might be able to consolidate smaller collectors with larger ones but can depend on your setup. This cover some details about it: https://www.logicmonitor.com/support/collectors/collector-overview/collector-capacity

If you lost access to your portal, reaching out to tech support, your LM rep or open a ticket at https://support.logicmonitor.com/hc/en-us/requests/new

• Hi Mike ,

Thanks for your response , in my 2nd query i mean in one environment suppose we are using 10-12 medium size collectors for monitoring devices instead of using 10-12 medium sized collectors can't we use 2-3 collectors of XXL sized , which is the best practice in terms of costs , availability from the industry perspective .

• Loosely, one collector with 2x RAM (and other config values) would have roughly the same capabilities as two collectors with 1x RAM (and other config values). Whether you do many small, or few large depends on your geographical placement of the target monitored objects. If you’re monitoring a datacenter, get the largest collectors you can. If you’re monitoring across a large geographical area, you may benefit from spreading your collectors out across that area.

• Hi Mike ,

Thanks for your response , in my 2nd query i mean in one environment suppose we are using 10-12 medium size collectors for monitoring devices instead of using 10-12 medium sized collectors can't we use 2-3 collectors of XXL sized , which is the best practice in terms of costs , availability from the industry perspective .

I have the same question as our Support Team wants 52 collectors more as Large on top of the 64 already in place would it be better to get XXL collectors to manage our environment.

Thanks,

Dom