Forum Discussion

4 years ago

Windows services

Hey Everyone just need some help with my Logic Monitor service account accessing windows services.

Logic Monitor service account name: Lomosvc

Okay First off for security & Compliance reasons Lomosvc does not have local admin on any servers other than the Collectors themselves. With that being said I am running into permissions issues on being able to see the Services status. 

Okay from the beginning: 

1. Giving access to Windows services to non-admins. 

I have been able to find a few helpful articles on how to give the a non-admin access to Windows services and I have followed these.  Below are the Articles I have found helpful. 

WWoIT - Wayne's World of IT: Service Control Manager Security for non-admins (waynes-world-it.blogspot.com)

How to View and Modify Service Permissions in Windows - Winhelponline

Granting Remote Access on SCManager to Non-admin Users | Windows OS Hub (woshub.com)

So based off the the above articles I have pulled the SID of Lomosvc from AD and was able to give it access to Windows Services. After giving that access I found out that I then needed to give access to each services I am trying to monitor, so I used this article:  SubInACL: A complete solution to configure security permission - TechNet Articles - United States (English) - TechNet Wiki (microsoft.com)

I can give lomosvc access to I(interrogate service) & S(query service status)  

And still I am unable to see the "status" of the service. It will return the State of 1 which is "running". So with having that issue I on a test server I gave it F(full control) and then I get NaN returned for both State and Status. 

Not sure if anyone else has ran into this issue and found a work around. I haven't put a lot of info in here because I was not sure how much to put and didn't want to over load with to much info, so if you need more info just let me know and I can provide it. 

4 Replies

Anonymous

What does the rest of your poll now window look like? (feel free to obscure sensitive info)

• This is the rest of the Poll now window. "Status" always comes back as unknown. 

Anonymous

Ok, looking at your output, this is expected. The datapoint is looking for the text "OK" in the output of the Status attribute. Your output looks like this:

ExitCode : 0
    Name : MSSQLSERVER
    ProcessId: 5136
    StartMode : Unknown
    State : Running

Since the status is reading "UNKNOWN" the text "OK" is not found and is returning a 0. I would guess that there's still some permission you need to add to allow the Status attribute to be queried.

• Was there ever any solution for this ? Do you know what extra permissions are required ?