Forum Discussion

2 years ago

VMDisk Capacity Alert Modification

I currently have  Alerting and threshold configured for VMDiskCapacity using the PercentUsed Datapoint.  Below is an example of the alert output.  Is there a way to display disk capacity information in GB in addition to PercentUsed in the alert?  My management asked if we can show the Drive Capacity size info for the disk being alerted on in addition to the percentage used.  Thank you in advance for any assistance in this.

ID: LMD8649334
Please click the following URL to acknowledge the alert (or paste it to the browser)
https://henricocogov.logicmonitor.com/santaba/uiv4/alert#detail~id=LMD8649334&type=alert

Virtual machine filesystem [xxx] E:\ on VMware host vcenter.xxx.xxx.local#3 is now 90.0451 percent used, placing the filesystem into warn state.

This started at 2022-08-29 15:23:19 EDT, -- or 44h 6m ago.

Alert Rule: This alert matches the rule SysAdmin - Virtual Servers In vCenter Disk Usage
Alert has been sent to:
stage 1: Sys Admins 

Recipients: Alert now is going to stage 1 recipients: Sys Admins 

3 Replies

• There's no way that I know of. You can't display data from other datapoints in the datasource. You also can't show data from other datasources even on the same device. There might be a security argument there. More likely, not enough paying customers requested the ability to do it.

• 14 minutes ago, Stuart Weenig said:

There's no way that I know of. You can't display data from other datapoints in the datasource. You also can't show data from other datasources even on the same device. There might be a security argument there. More likely, not enough paying customers requested the ability to do it.

It has definitely been requested by at least one other and is a natural obvious concept, to at least be able to reference other datapoints within the same module.  But the "paying customer" bit is the key -- if something does not directly make more money, we see no interest from LM most of the time.  The core product has serious limits such as this, and based on experience they rarely get attention (see for example SNMP sessions wedging across firewall boundaries because the same SNMP session ID is generated once and used until collector restart -- basic stuff is just allowed to be broken indefinitely).

The only suggestion I have is to use something like we've developed for ticket injection, which uses an underlying template driver.  Templates can run callbacks to get more data, which would allow you to pull more information from the API.  Clunky, but possible.  That was something we developed years back for Nagios, which also allowed us to collect additional data from problem systems (e.g., top N processes).  Getting data like that would be tricky, though it should be possible to trigger via the debugger which is available to any admin role API key (from anywhere since keys cannot be restricted by source, so be careful...).

• 2 hours ago, mnagel said:

if something does not directly make more money, we see no interest from LM most of the time