Forum Discussion

3 years ago
Solved

The TCP/IP connection to the host 192.168.3.23, port 1433 has failed (on default port)

Hi there!

We have following issue: Our MSSQL server is running on dynamic ports, but in LM there is only default port specified in Properties section mssql.commvault.mssql_url  =  jdbc:sqlserver://192.168.3.23\COMMVAULT:1433;databaseName=MSDB;integratedSecurity=true

Thus, LM is trying to connecto to the port, where the sql server is not running.

Is it somehow possible to replace exact port number with the range of ports or somehow force LM to check all ports? Or is it better idea to change settings on MSSQL server to use only default port?

Any suggestions will be much appreciated!

• Hi all,

in order to monitor MS SQL server database items we had to do a couple of changes.

Firstly, there had to be created a new user in MS SQL management studio and there were necessary to allow SQL authentification. Then, appropriate rights were assigned to the user (on the database table level). Lastly, properties were assigned to property source - jdbc.mssql.pass, jdbc.mssql.user, mssql.commvault.mssql_url

All that stuff was quite difficult and it was designed for engineers with advandced MS SQL and Logic Monitoring knowledge?

5 Replies

• After some time of troubleshooting we have found out that LM shoud be able to find even dynamic ports (see https://www.logicmonitor.com/support/monitoring/applications-databases/microsoft-sql-server). However, we do not know how to implement following string into LM - auto.<instance name>.mssql_url.

If I add "auto.<instance name>.mssql_url." to Custom Properties, there is error message saying that it is not allowed. Where should be then this string added?

If there is no string specified (mssql.commvault.mssql_url), LM will trigger this alert - SQL Server Troubleshooter-MY_INSTANCE_NAME Missing JDBC connection string. Check login informations or manually add a connections string to mssql.commvault.mssql_url exitCode

What does it mean?

Anonymous

You can't manually set auto. properties. Those would come from LM's built in modules that try to auto discover the url. Since yours aren't/can't be auto discovered, you'll need to specify the property using mssql.<instance name>.mssql_url, on the device level. 

• Hi @Stuart Weenig! Thanks for your input. Then, if I need to have auto discover option for finding dynamic port of my mssql server, only one possibility will be to implement auto discovery to DataSource or somewhere? Specifying exact jdb string (mssql.<instance name>.mssql_url), is not helpful since mssql server uses dynamic port, that can be changed after restart or reboot.

Anonymous

If you want it auto discovered, you'd probably need to look at the PropertySource: addCategory_MSSQL. I'm not too familiar with how the monitoring engineers designed the discovery of MSSQL to work. On the same page you referenced above, it looks like you can specify a list of ports in the `jdbc.mssql.port` property. If you know what the ports might be, you should be able to populate that property with the list (don't think it supports a range, so hopefully it's not too big). 

The page also mentions the SQL browser, which I don't know what that is not being a MS SQL guy, but it seems that it might assist in getting things working.

I'd start by looking at the addCategory_MSSQL property source and see what is being discovered there. Several properties should be added by that PS.

• Hi all,

in order to monitor MS SQL server database items we had to do a couple of changes.

Firstly, there had to be created a new user in MS SQL management studio and there were necessary to allow SQL authentification. Then, appropriate rights were assigned to the user (on the database table level). Lastly, properties were assigned to property source - jdbc.mssql.pass, jdbc.mssql.user, mssql.commvault.mssql_url

All that stuff was quite difficult and it was designed for engineers with advandced MS SQL and Logic Monitoring knowledge?