Forum Discussion

2 years ago

SQL Server Cluster Monitoring

I have a question on setting up SQL cluster monitoring.  According to https://www.logicmonitor.com/support/monitoring/applications-databases/windows-server-failover-cluster-on-sql-server-monitoring the datasource  Microsoft_SQLServer_FailoverClusterNodeStatus should be used in conjunction with WSFC.  I have the Windows Cluster related datasources, and I have the SQL Server AlwaysOn Availability datasources as well.  I’m unable to get the   Microsoft_SQLServer_FailoverClusterNodeStatus to apply.  The DAG meets the applies to criteria (hasCategory("WSFC_VNN") && hasCategory("MSSQL").  When I test the script I get the message “there would be no instances discovered for the selected device”.  I want this datasource to monitor and alert when a SQL cluster failover has occurred.  I’ve tested failover and no event is recorded specifically around this with any of the other datasources.  The SQL cluster is an Active Active configuration.

Am I missing a step in the configuration?

4 Replies

• I haven't configured it myself, so i'm not sure if you're missing a step. However, there is some troubleshooting you can do. Copy the discovery script to your clipboard and head over to the collectors page. Find the collector monitoring that device and open the debug command console. Then execute a !groovy command. This will prompt you to choose a device and input a script. Do that and when you run it you will see the raw output, which might give you an indicator of what is failing (because you see the raw output instead of just the "sorry i couldn't parse anything from the output" message).

• I’ve been working on the SQL server modules.  I know it’s been a while since you asked this question.  Did you ever solve this problem?

• @RichB If you are still having troubles feel free to submit a support ticket, me or any other of the Support Engineers would be more than willing to assist you through this.

• However, there is some troubleshooting you can do. Copy the discovery script to your clipboard and head over to the collectors page. Find the collector monitoring that device and open the debug command console. Then execute a !groovy command. This will prompt you to choose a device and input a script. Do that and when you run it you will see the raw output, which might give you an indicator of what is failing (because you see the raw output instead of just the "sorry i couldn't parse anything from the output" message).

This is the best when troubleshooting SQL monitoring configuration concerns